Background play isn't working
Check your background playback settings
Learn how to check your background playback settings.
Check your version of the YouTube app
Make sure that you're using the latest version of the YouTube app. Visit your device's app store and check if you have any pending updates for the Youtube app.
If you have a new phone, or you've recently restored your phone, it may include an old version of the YouTube app (e.g., versions below 12.0 are considered very outdated).
Check YouTube Red availability
Check your membership status
Make sure your YouTube Red membership has not expired. In the YouTube app, tap your profile photo > My YouTube Red and scroll down to "Manage your membership."
If you recently lost access to YouTube Red and then re-subscribed, note that it will take a few hours for saved videos to become available again once you've re-subscribed. If you need to watch a video right away, tap Menu and select Retry download.
Restart the YouTube app or reboot your device
Check your notifications
Contact support & submit product feedback
- Please specify whether the sound stops right when you leave the app, or whether it plays for some time but then stops unexpectedly.
- Please specify any error messages you see when you return to the app.
- Please submit in-app feedback.
- You can also submit in-product feedback. You won't get a response, but your feedback will be shared with the YouTube Product teams.
- To do this, select your profile photo > Feedback .
- Make sure to check the box for "System logs." This helps us better understand your issue.