Using YouTube Premium benefits
With YouTube Premium, you can watch millions of videos without ads. This includes ads before and during a video, as well as banner ads, search ads, and video overlay ads.
You may still see branding or promotions embedded in content, when such messaging is placed there by the creator. You may also see links in and around content that are added by the creator. These links could be for their website, merchandise, event tickets, or other related destinations they are promoting.
Ad-free videos are supported across all devices and platforms where you can sign in with your Google account—including on compatible smart TVs/gaming consoles and the YouTube, YouTube Music, and YouTube Kids mobile apps, if they're available in your location.
You also get access to YouTube Music Premium as part of your benefits. With YouTube Music Premium, you can:
- Enjoy millions of songs and videos in YouTube Music without ads.
- Download songs and videos to your mobile device for offline listening.
- Use background play to keep your music playing while you use other apps.
- Turn on audio-only mode to listen to music without loading the video
Download videos and playlists to watch offline when you aren’t connected to the internet. You can download videos to watch offline using the YouTube or YouTube Music (and watch auto-downloaded videos in the YouTube Kids app) if these apps are available in your location and you're signed in with your YouTube Premium account.
Download a video
- Start watching a video on the YouTube mobile app.
- Tap Download below the video player.
- Select the video quality.
- The Downloaded icon will appear below the video player when the video has completed downloading. For iOS users, the video will download automatically once you stop watching.
You can view your downloaded videos in the Library or Account tabs.
To remove a downloaded video, tap Downloaded and select Remove.
Change download settings
On certain mobile devices, videos and playlists can be downloaded only when connected to a Wi-Fi network. To download videos over a mobile network, go to Settings and turn off Save over Wi-Fi only under "Background & Offline."
Set video download quality
To change the default quality for downloading videos, go to Settings and select Quality under "Background & Offline." Higher quality videos may take longer to download and may use more storage space on your device.
If less than 5% of storage space is available on your device, you won't be able to download additional videos. To free up additional space, try removing a downloaded video or playlist.
Things to know about downloaded videos:
- You must be signed in to your YouTube Premium account to download videos to watch offline.
- Some actions, like commenting and liking, are not available while viewing videos offline.
- Downloaded videos renew automatically as long as you go online in your home country at least once every 30 days.
- Some content may not be available offline when you reconnect to the internet due to content restrictions from video creators.
- If your device loses connectivity while downloading a video or playlist, it will automatically resume when you reconnect to a mobile or Wi-Fi network.
- You can only download videos in countries where YouTube Premium is available.
- Learn more about YouTube offline videos.
Play videos on your mobile device while using other apps or when your screen is off. Background play is available on YouTube, YouTube Music, YouTube Gaming, and YouTube Kids mobile apps (if these apps are available in your location).
Customize or disable background play
Background play is available on YouTube mobile apps when you are signed in with your YouTube Premium membership account. By default, videos will always play in the background.
To change or disable background play:
- Go to Menu > Settings .
- Select Background Play under "Background & Offline."
- Make your selection:
- Always on: Videos will always play in the background (default setting).
- Off: Videos will never play in the background.
- Headphones or external speakers: Videos will only play in the background if your device is connected to headphones, speakers, or an external audio output.