With YouTube Premium, you can watch millions of videos without interruptions by ads before and during a video, including video overlay ads. You will also not see third-party banner ads and search ads.
You may still see branding or promotions embedded in the content by the creator and promotional links, shelves and features in and around the content that are added or enabled by the creator. These links, shelves and features could be for their website, merchandise, membership to their channel, event tickets or other related destinations that they are promoting.
Ad-free videos are supported across all devices and platforms where you can sign in with your Google Account – including on compatible smart TVs/gaming consoles and the YouTube, YouTube Music and YouTube Kids mobile apps, if they're available in your location.
Download videos and playlists to watch offline when you aren't connected to the Internet. You can download videos to watch offline using the YouTube or YouTube Music app (and watch auto-downloaded videos in the YouTube Kids app) if these apps are available in your location and you're signed in to your YouTube Premium account.
Download a video
- Start watching a video on the YouTube Mobile app.
- Tap Download below the video player.
- Select the video quality.
- The 'Downloaded' icon will appear below the video player when the video has finished downloading.
You can view your downloaded videos in the Library or Account tabs.
To remove a downloaded video, tap Downloaded and select Remove.
Change download settings
On certain mobile devices, videos and playlists will only be downloaded when your device is on a specific connection type – a Wi-Fi network is typically the default. To allow video downloads on your mobile network:
- Open the YouTube app.
- Tap your profile photo.
- Tap Settings .
- Tap Library and downloads.
- Tap Download connection.
- Select 'All connection types'.
Some mobile network operators provide access to unrestricted mobile data, which is data that does not count towards any quotas or limits. If you're using one of those operators, you may also see an option to download on 'Wi-Fi and unrestricted mobile data'. Selecting this option will allow videos and playlists to be downloaded when your device has a Wi-Fi connection or is on an unrestricted mobile data connection.
Unrestricted mobile data is only available on Android version R or newer. It's limited to participating mobile operators (currently Verizon and AT&T) in the United States, where access may be limited to 5G.
Set video download quality
To change the default quality for downloading videos, go to Settings and select Download quality under 'Background and Downloads'. Higher-quality videos may take longer to download and may use more storage space on your device.
If less than 5% of storage space is available on your device, you won't be able to download additional videos. To free up space, try removing a downloaded video or playlist.
Things to know about downloaded videos:
- You must be signed in to your YouTube Premium account to download videos to watch offline.
- Some videos, such as free movies from YouTube Movies & shows, may not be available to download for offline viewing due to content restrictions from partners.
- Some actions, like commenting and liking, are not available while viewing videos offline.
- Downloaded videos renew automatically as long as you go online in your home country/region at least once every 30 days.
- Some videos that you have previously downloaded may not be available offline when you reconnect to the Internet due to content restrictions from partners.
- If your device loses connectivity while downloading a video or playlist, it will automatically resume when you reconnect to a mobile or Wi-Fi network.
- You can only download videos in countries/regions where YouTube Premium is available.
- Learn more about YouTube offline videos.
Play videos on your mobile device while using other apps or when your screen is off. Background play is available on YouTube, YouTube Music and YouTube Kids mobile apps (if these apps are available in your location).
Customise or turn off background play
Background play is available on YouTube mobile apps when you're signed in with your YouTube Premium membership account. By default, videos will always play in the background.
To change or turn off background play:
- Go to Settings .
- Select Background Play under 'Background and Downloads'.
- Make your selection:
- Always on: Videos will always play in the background (default setting).
- Off: Videos will never play in the background.
- Headphones or external speakers: Videos will only play in the background if your device is connected to headphones, speakers or an external audio output.
You also get access to YouTube Music Premium as part of your benefits. With YouTube Music Premium, you can:
- Enjoy millions of songs and videos in YouTube Music without ads.
- Download songs and videos to your mobile device for offline listening.
- Use background play to keep your music playing while you use other apps.
- Turn on audio-only mode to listen to music without loading the video.