Using YouTube Red benefits
Your YouTube Red membership includes several benefits to help you amplify your YouTube experience. Learn more about these benefits and how to customize your membership below.Ad-free videos
With YouTube Red, you can watch millions of videos without ads. This includes ads before and during a video, as well as banner ads, search ads, and video overlay ads. You may still see branding or promotions embedded in creators' content that isn't controlled by YouTube.
Ad-free videos are supported across all devices and platforms where you can sign in with your Google account—including on compatible smart TVs/gaming consoles and the YouTube, YouTube Music, YouTube Gaming, and YouTube Kids mobile apps, if they're available in your location.
Enjoy ad-free music in the YouTube Music app, as well as a subscription to Google Play Music, at no extra cost. Note that both Google Play Music and YouTube Red must be available in your location for this to work.
Download videos and playlists to watch offline for up to 30 days when you aren’t connected to the internet. You can download videos to watch offline using the YouTube, YouTube Music, YouTube Gaming, and YouTube Kids mobile apps (if these apps are available in your location) when you're signed in with your YouTube Red membership account.
Download a video
- Start watching a video on the YouTube or YouTube Gaming mobile app.
- Tap Download below the video player (under the DETAILS tab in the YouTube Gaming app)
- Select the video quality.
- The Downloaded icon will appear below the video player when the video has completed downloading. For iOS users, the video will download automatically once you stop watching.
You can view your downloaded videos in the Library or Account tabs .
To remove a downloaded video, tap Downloaded and select Remove.
Change download settings
On certain mobile devices, videos and playlists can be downloaded only when connected to a Wi-Fi network. To download videos over a mobile network, go to Settings and turn off Save over Wi-Fi only under "Background & Offline."
Set video download quality
To change the default quality for downloading videos, go to Settings and select Quality under "Background & Offline." Higher quality videos may take longer to download and may use more storage space on your device.
If less than 5% of storage space is available on your device, you won't be able to download additional videos. To free up additional space, try removing a downloaded video or playlist.
Things to know about downloaded videos
- You must be signed in to your YouTube Red account to download videos to watch offline.
- Some actions, like commenting and liking, are not available while viewing videos offline.
- Downloaded videos will remain available offline for up to 30 days before requiring an internet connection that must be repeated every 30 days.
- Some content may not be available offline when you reconnect to the Internet due to content restrictions from video creators.
- If your device loses connectivity while downloading a video or playlist, it will automatically resume when you reconnect to a mobile or Wi-Fi network.
Play videos while using other apps or when your screen is off. Background play is available on YouTube, YouTube Music, YouTube Gaming, and YouTube Kids mobile apps (if these apps are available in your location).
Customize or disable background play
Background play is available on YouTube mobile apps when you are signed in with your YouTube Red membership account. By default, videos will always play in the background.
To change or disable background play:
- Go to Menu > Settings .
- Select Background Play under "Background & Offline."
- Make your selection:
- Always on: Videos will always play in the background (default setting).
- Off: Videos will never play in the background.
- Headphones or external speakers: Videos will only play in the background if your device is connected to headphones, speakers, or an external audio output.