YouTube doesn’t allow content that endangers the emotional and physical well-being of minors. A minor is defined as someone under the legal age of majority -- usually anyone younger than 18 years old in most countries/regions.
If you find content that violates this policy, report it. If you believe that a child is in danger, you should contact your local law enforcement to report the situation immediately.
What this policy means for you
If you're posting content
Don’t post content on YouTube if it fits any of the descriptions below.
- Sexualization of minors: Sexually explicit content featuring minors and content that sexually exploits minors. We report content containing child sexual abuse imagery to the National Center for Missing and Exploited Children, who work with global law enforcement agencies.
- Harmful or dangerous acts involving minors: Content showing a minor participating in dangerous activities or encouraging minors to do dangerous activities. Never put minors in harmful situations that may lead to injury, including dangerous stunts, dares, or pranks.
- Infliction of emotional distress on minors: Content that could cause minor participants or viewers emotional distress, including:
- Exposing minors to mature themes
- Simulating parental abuse
- Coercing minors
- Misleading family content: Content that targets young minors and families, but contains:
- Sexual themes
- Obscenity or other mature themes not suitable for young audiences
- Family friendly cartoons that target young minors and contain adult or age-inappropriate themes such as violence, sex, death, drugs etc. Make sure your titles, descriptions, and tags match the audience you are targeting. You can also age restrict your content upon upload if it’s intended for mature audiences.
- Cyberbullying and harassment involving minors: Content that:
- Targets individuals for abuse or humiliation
- Reveals personal information like email addresses or bank account numbers
- Records someone without their consent
- Sexually harasses
- Encourages others to bully or harass
This policy applies to videos, video descriptions, comments, Stories, Community posts, live streams, and any other YouTube product or feature. Please note this is not a complete list.
We may add an age restriction to content that includes any of the following.
- Harmful or dangerous acts that minors could imitate: Content containing adults participating in dangerous activities that minors could easily imitate.
- Note: If the content itself warns minors not to perform the dangerous activities, we may allow this content without restriction. It will also need to explain the need for professional adult supervision.
- Adult themes in family content: Content meant for adult audiences but could easily be confused with family content. This includes cartoons that contain adult themes such as violence, sex, or death. Remember you can age restrict your content upon upload if it’s intended for mature audiences.
- Vulgar language: Some language is not appropriate for younger audiences. Content using sexually explicit language or excessive profanity may lead to age restriction.
Content featuring minors
- Live chat
- Live streaming
- Video recommendations (how and when your video is recommended)
Here are some examples of content not allowed on YouTube.
- A video featuring minors involved in provocative, sexual, or sexually suggestive activities, challenges and dares, such as kissing or groping.
- Showing minors involved in dangerous activities, such as physical stunts, using weapons or explosives, or using a controlled substance like alcohol or nicotine.
- A video with tags like "for children" featuring family friendly cartoons engaging in inappropriate acts like injecting needles.
Remember these are just some examples, and don't post content if you think it might violate this policy.
- Offering money, praise, likes, or any other incentive to a minor to participate in physical contact with someone else.
- A video that advertises sexual content featuring minors or abusive content featuring minors.
- Predatory behavior involving communications with or about minors.
- Aggregating innocent content of minors for the purposes of sexual gratification.
- Fight or bullying videos featuring kids.
- Challenges, pranks, or stunts that pose the risk of physical injury or serious emotional distress. You can learn more about what’s not allowed in our policies around challenges and pranks.
- Encouraging minors to participate in dangerous activities, even if there are no minors in the content.
- Content simulating parental abuse or abandonment, simulating exposure to death or violence, or causing minors intense shame or humiliation.
- Using cartoons, puppets, or family entertainment characters to appeal to children where content features adult themes like violence and sex.
What happens if content violates this policy
If your content violates this policy, we’ll remove the content and send you an email to let you know. If this is your first time violating our Community Guidelines, you’ll get a warning with no penalty to your channel. If it’s not, we’ll issue a strike against your channel. If you get 3 strikes, your channel will be terminated. You can learn more about our strikes system here.
We have zero tolerance for predatory behavior on YouTube. If we think a child is in danger based on reported content, we’ll help law enforcement investigate the content.
Visit Creator Academy for more
Would you rather learn about our Community Guidelines through videos and quizzes? Check out our new Creator Academy course.