Hate speech policy
Hate speech is not allowed on YouTube. We remove content promoting violence or hatred against individuals or groups based on any of the following attributes:
- Gender Identity
- Immigration Status
- Sexual Orientation
- Victims of a major violent event and their kin
- Veteran Status
If you see content that violates this policy, please report it. Instructions for reporting violations of our Community Guidelines are available here. If you have found multiple videos, comments, or a user’s entire channel that you wish to report, please visit our reporting tool, where you will be able to submit a more detailed complaint.
What this means for you
If you're posting content
Don’t post content on YouTube if the purpose of that content is to do one or more of the following.
- Encourage violence against individuals or groups based on any of on the attributes noted above. We don’t allow threats on YouTube, and we treat implied calls for violence as real threats. You can learn more about our policies on threats and harassment.
- Incite hatred against individuals or groups based on any of the attributes noted above.
Other types of content that violates this policy
- Dehumanizing individuals or groups by calling them subhuman, comparing them to animals, insects, pests, disease, or any other non-human entity.
- Praise or glorify violence against individuals or groups based on the attributes noted above.
- Use racial, ethnic, religious, or other slurs where the primary purpose is to promote hatred.
- Use stereotypes that incite or promote hatred based on any of the attributes noted above. This can take the form of speech, text, or imagery promoting these stereotypes or treating them as factual.
- Claim that individuals or groups are physically or mentally inferior, deficient, or diseased based on any of the attributes noted for the purpose of inciting hatred. This includes statements that one group is less than another, calling them less intelligent, less capable, or damaged.
- Allege the superiority of a group over those with any of the attributes noted above to justify violence, discrimination, segregation, or exclusion.
- Conspiracy theories ascribing evil, corrupt, or malicious intent to individuals or groups based on any of the attributes noted above.
- Call for the subjugation or domination over individuals or groups based on any of the attributes noted above.
- Deny that a well-documented, violent event took place.
We may allow content that includes hate speech if the primary purpose is educational, documentary, scientific, or artistic in nature. This is not a free pass to promote hate speech. Examples include:
- A documentary about a hate group: Educational content that isn’t supporting the group or promoting ideas would be allowed. A documentary promoting violence or hatred wouldn’t be allowed.
- A documentary about the scientific study of humans: A documentary about how theories have changed over time, even if it includes theories about the inferiority or superiority of specific groups, would be allowed because it’s educational. We won’t allow a documentary claiming there is scientific evidence today that an individual or group is inferior or subhuman.
This policy applies to videos, video descriptions, comments, live streams, and any other YouTube product or feature. For educational content that includes hate speech, this context must appear in the images or audio of the video itself. Providing it in the title or description is insufficient.
Here are examples of hate speech not allowed on YouTube.
- “I’m glad this [violent event] happened. They got what they deserved [referring to persons with the attributes noted above].”
- “[Person with attributes noted above] are dogs” or “[person with attributes noted above] are like animals.”
- “Get out there and punch a [person with attributes noted above].”
- “Everyone in [groups with attributes noted above] are all criminals and thugs.”
- “[Person with attributes noted above] is scum of the earth.”
- “[People with attributes noted above] are a disease.”
- “[People with attributes noted above] are less intelligent than us because their brains are smaller.”
- “Our existence is threatened by [group with any of the attributes noted above], so we should drive them out at every chance we get.”
- “[Group with any of the attributes noted above] has an agenda to run the world and get rid of us.”
- “[Attribute noted above] is just a form of mental illness that needs to be cured.”
- “[Person with any of the attributes noted above] shouldn't be educated in schools because they shouldn't be educated at all.”
- “All of the so-called victims of this violent event are actors. No one was hurt, and this is just a false flag.”
Please remember these are just some examples, and don't post content if you think it might violate this policy.
What happens when content violates this policy
If your content violates this policy, we’ll remove the content and send you an email to let you know. If this is the first time you’ve posted content that violates our Community Guidelines, you’ll get a warning with no penalty to your channel. If it’s not, we’ll issue a strike against your channel. Your channel will be terminated if you receive 3 strikes. You can learn more about our strikes system here.
If we think your content comes close to hate speech, we may limit YouTube features available for that content. You can learn more about limited features here.