YouTube’s search and discovery system helps viewers find the videos they’re most likely to watch and maximize long-term viewer satisfaction. Get answers about your video and channel performance with the following FAQs.
How does YouTube choose what videos to promote?
- what they watch
- what they don’t watch
- how much time they spend watching
- likes and dislikes
- ‘not interested’ feedback
- satisfaction surveys
How do I get my videos promoted to a bigger audience?
How are videos ranked on Home?
- Performance -- How well your video has interested and satisfied similar viewers, among other factors.
- Watch and search history -- How often your audience watches a channel or topic and how many times we’ve already shown each video.
How are videos selected for Trending?
How are videos ranked in Suggested under ‘Up Next’?
How are videos ranked in Search?
- How well the title, description, and video content match the viewer’s search.
- What videos drive the most engagement for a search.
Does changing a video’s title or thumbnail re-rank the video in the algorithm?
How can I optimize my title and thumbnail for discovery?
You can use these tips to optimize your title and thumbnail for discovery:
- Make sure your thumbnail follows our thumbnail policy.
- Use compelling titles for your videos that accurately represent the content.
- Create thumbnails that accurately represent your content.
- Avoid using misleading, clickbait, or sensational titles and thumbnails. These methods can turn potential new viewers away from your channel. It can also result in your video being reported, which makes your video less likely to be recommended to new viewers.
Does monetization status (yellow icon) impact my video discovery?
How important are Tags?
Does setting my channel location to a specific country/region help me reach more viewers in that audience? (ex. Switching location to US even though I’m in Brazil)
Do Likes/Dislikes impact how my video is recommended?
If I upload a video as unlisted and later flip it public, will that hurt my video performance?
If one of my videos under-performs, is that going to hurt my channel?
If I take a break from uploading, will that hurt my channel performance?
Do I need to upload daily or at least once a week?
When is the best time to publish videos?
What’s more important, average percentage viewed or average view duration?
Why are my views lower than my subscriber count?
Why is my channel getting less traffic from Home or Suggested?
- Your audience is watching more of other videos and channels on YouTube.
- Your audience is spending less time on YouTube.
- You had a few high-performing videos, or a video went “viral” but those viewers didn’t return to watch more.
- Uploading less frequently than usual.
- The topic your videos are focused on is declining in popularity.
An old video recently took off, why?
- The topic your video is about is increasing in popularity.
- New viewers are discovering your channel and ‘binging’ your old videos.
- More viewers are choosing to watch your video when it’s offered to them in recommendations.
- You released a new video in a series, prompting viewers to go back and watch older episodes.