The Tap Area component
The Tap Area component is a transparent element you can position over any part of the screen, which lets the user trigger an action with a touch or mouse click.
To add the Tap Area component to your project:
- Open the Components panel, then the Interaction folder.
- Drag the Tap Area component to the stage.
- Name the component in the Properties panel.
Events are how you connect a physical gesture from your user to an action in your ad. The Tap Area component sends the following event which can be used to trigger other actions:
|Touch/Click||Sent when the user touches (mobile) or clicks (desktop) the button.|
- Be sure your ad has a button or other clear visual call-to-action element for the user to click or touch.
- Drag the Tap Area component from the Interaction folder of the Components panel to the stage, and position it over the call to action.
- Click the new event button in the Events panel.
- In the event dialog, select the following options:
Target The Tap Area component (
Event Tap Area > Touch/Click Action Google Ad > Exit Receiver
- Metrics ID - A label (e.g., "CTA") to make reports easier to understand.
- URL - The exit URL.
- Collapse on exit - For expandable ads, check to collapse the ad when the user closes the ad.
- Pause media on exit - Check to stop video and audio playback when the user closes the ad.
- Collapsed page on exit - For expandable ads, the page to show when the user closes the ad.
Creating a dynamic call to action with the Tap Area component
The Tap Area component lets you initiate almost any action with a touch or click. One common use is to create a call to action. Typically, this will be a static link to a website, but dynamic links are also possible when you're creating a dynamic ad.
- In the Dynamic panel, click + to add dynamic bindings.
- On the Bindings tab of the Dynamic Properties dialog, click Add Binding.
- For the element, select the ID of the Tap Area.
- For the element attribute, select Exit override URL.
- For the data schema object, select the dynamic URL data (e.g.,
- Right-click the Tap Area and select Add event...
- For the event, select Tap Area > Touch/Click.
- For the action, select Custom > gwd.exitAuto.
- Click OK.
This custom event is available for the AdWords dynamic remarketing templates. If you create your ad from scratch, use the Blank Slate template, which includes the custom events.
Components can't be previewed inside the Google Web Designer interface. To see the component in action, preview your ad in your preferred browser.