Vault is for administrators and legal personnel. Before you can use Vault, your Google Workspace admin needs to set up your account. Who is my administrator?
Things to know before you searchWhat data is searched
- Text messages
- Voicemails and their transcripts
- Call logs
- Voice data for a number assigned to more than one user
- Voice data created before June 5, 2019 (GMT-7)
For details, see Supported services and data types.
For example, you can use search options and terms to search for the following:
- Words in text messages, voicemail transcripts, and call logs
- Text conversations and calls that involve a specific phone number
- Voicemails from a specific phone number
- Text messages that have attachments. You can't search text in attachments to text messages.
Note: Search results and exports show only the phone numbers of call and messaging participants. Vault doesn't convert phone numbers to names or email addresses.
You can preview the following data:
- Text messages
- Voicemail transcripts
- Voicemail messages. To preview, download the audio recording and use third-party software to play it on your local computer.
- Call log entries for calls placed by a phone number, answered by a phone number, and unanswered by a phone number
- Sign in to vault.google.com.
- Click Matters. You search for data in matters, which are workspaces for your Vault projects. Matters let you group related holds, searches, and exports together. Matters don't restrict what data you can search—all data that you are allowed to access is searchable from any matter.
- If the matter you want to run the search query in exists, click it to open it. Otherwise, create a matter:
- Click Create.
- Enter a name for the matter and, optionally, a description.
- Click Create.
The Search tab automatically opens.
- For the service, select Voice.
- Select the source data to search:
- All data—Search all data in your organization.
- Held data—Search only data on hold for the matter.
- Select the entity to search:
- Specific accounts—Enter up to 5,000 account email addresses.
- Organizational unit—Search all accounts in a specific organizational unit. In the dialog that opens, select an organizational unit.
If you choose an organizational unit with child organizational units, accounts in the child organizational units are also searched.
- (Optional) Select the kind of data you want to search. By default, Vault searches all supported Voice data types. To exclude a data type, uncheck the box.
- (Optional) Select a time zone.
- (Optional) Enter a range for Date sent.
Note: If you enter dates, Vault returns data in that date range.
- If you enter a start date, Vault returns Voice data created on or after that date.
- If you enter an end date, Vault returns Voice data created on or before that date.
- (Optional) Use Terms to specify one or more search terms. Use search operators for complex searches.
- Click one of the following:
- Search—Run your search and return a list of messages that match your query.
- Export—Directly export the search results and skip the search results preview. Learn more about exports
- After your search or export completes, you can take the following actions:
You can preview Voice data search results before you export them.
|Icon||Type of data available for preview|
|Text or MMS message with sender and recipient phone numbers. Preview and exports include message text and any attachments.|
|Speech-to-text transcription (if available) of a voicemail. You can download the audio recording of the message and use third-party software to play it on your local computer.|
|Log entry for a call answered by a Voice user in your organization:
|Log entry for a call placed by a Voice user in your organization:
|Log entry for an incoming Voice call that wasn't answered.|