Search Google Groups
Once you create a matter, you can use Vault to search for Google Groups messages. You can also use Vault to search for:
Things to know before you search
Before you search, you should understand the following. For additional information about searching for data, see the Vault Search FAQ.What types of attachments are indexed?
Compatible text-based attachment file types (for example, files with .pdf, .xslx, and .docx extensions) are indexed for search. However, Vault doesn't index video, audio, image, and binary content.
Vault indexes and searches approximately the first megabyte of a message and any attachments. If Vault finds a match, it searches the rest of the data and makes it available for preview and export.
Search for messages in Groups
- Click a matter name.
- Click Search in the left pane.
- Choose a Source:
- All data—Search all data in your organization.
- Held data—Search all data on litigation hold for the matter.
- Unprocessed data—Search content that we have identified as partially processed.
- Click Groups as the type of data to search.
- Enter one or more Groups separated by commas. You can search up to 50 Groups. The search fails if you don't specify at least one Group.
- (Optional) Enter a sent date range and choose a time zone.
- (Optional) Use Terms to specify one or more search terms. Use search operators for complex searches.
- Click Search.
- (Optional) Click the Search drop-down arrow to:
- Count results—Displays the number of messages found by the search terms you've entered. You can then modify your search criteria to further expand or restrict the results.
- Export results—Skips search preview and immediately exports the search results.
- Duplicate search form—Loads another search dialog prepopulated with the information you've already entered.
Preview search results
When you open an email or chat message, the thread's entire conversation is displayed. For very long threads, only the most recent 100 messages are included in the preview. You can't preview earlier messages from the thread. However, all messages that match your search criteria are included when you export.
Note: Vault exports only the messages that match your search terms. Go back and modify your search terms if you need to export additional messages from the thread.