Creating a Google Ads Tag & Conversion Linker in Google Tag Manager
Google Ads conversion tags help to build reports that show you what happens after a customer clicks on your ads – whether they purchased a product, signed up for your newsletter, called your business, or downloaded your app. When a customer completes an action that you've defined as valuable, these customer actions are called conversions.
To set up Google Ads conversion measurement, you will need to enter the required Google Ads Conversion ID and Conversion Label, and an optional Conversion Value, Transaction ID, and/or Currency Code.
- In Tag Manager, start a new Google Ads tag. From the home screen select New Tag Tag Configuration Google Ads Conversion Tracking.
Sign in to your Google Ads account to gather the values that you will use to complete the tag setup:
- In your Google Ads account, click the Tools and Settings menu. ()
- Select Measurement: Conversions, which opens to the Conversion Actions table.
- Select the name of the conversion that you want to use from the Conversion action column.
- Expand the tab for Tag setup to view the tag details.
- Select Use Google Tag Manager.
- Copy the Conversion ID and Conversion Label.
- In Tag Manager, add the required Conversion ID and Conversion Label values obtained from step 2 to their respective fields. You may optionally add a Conversion Value, Transaction ID*, and Currency Code. Be sure to use Tag Manager variables for these field values whenever applicable. (For example, most cases will use a variable for Transaction ID.)
* Note: For Transaction ID, you will need to set up your app or website to generate a Transaction ID, add that value to the data layer, and create a Tag Manager variable to retrieve the Transaction ID value.
- Choose one or more triggers in the Triggering section to specify when the tag should fire.
- Click Save to complete your tag setup.
Important: For optimal web browser compatibility, ensure that a conversion linker is enabled.
- Preview your changes, and publish when ready.