If you tried to place an order and the card you used for payment was declined, you have 7 days to update your payment method. You need to update your payment information in your Google Pay profile. If you update your payment info within 7 days, your order should go through automatically. To update your payment method:
- In the notification email, click the “Fix payment method” button.
- Tip: If you receive an error message, check your log-in is from the same email account.
- You can also update the payment method by following these steps:
- Sign in to pay.google.com. Be sure to use the same email account.
- In the activity tab, locate the order ID.
- On the order, click the “Fix payment method” button.
- Update your payment details in the new window
Check if your order went through
If you update your payment info within 7 days, your order should go through automatically. To check if it did, wait for 1-2 hours and then sign in to your account at pay.google.com.
If the “Fix payment method” button still shows up on the order, it means the payment hasn’t gone through. First, try to update the payment method again. If it still won’t process, try these additional steps:
- Make sure the billing address matches the billing address on your payment method. Learn more about how to change your home or billing address.
- Check that your payment method info is correct. Learn more about how to edit your payment method.
- Try updating a different payment method using the Fix payment method button.
Common reasons why cards get declined
Your card may have been declined for one of the following reasons:
- A typo in the card number. Try entering your card number again.
- An expired credit card. If your card hasn’t expired, check to make sure the date was entered right.
- A typo in the Card Verification Code (CVC). Double-check the number and retype it.
- Mismatched billing address with the one on file with your bank. Check that your Google Pay billing address matches the one your card provider has on file.
To update the billing information, change your billing address.
If you tried all these and still couldn’t get your card to work, contact your card provider.