You can remove data from your phone by resetting it to factory settings. Resetting this way is also called 'formatting' or a 'hard reset'.
Important: A factory reset erases all your data from your phone.
If you're resetting to fix an issue, we recommend first trying other solutions. Find out how to troubleshoot your issue.
To restore your data after resetting, you'll need to enter security information. Entering the information shows that you or someone you trust did the reset.
Make sure that you have the security information before you reset your phone.
- Make sure that you know a Google Account on the phone.
- Open your phone's Settings app.
- Tap Accounts.
- See a Google Account username.
- Make sure that you know the password for the Google Account on the phone. To confirm, sign in to that account on another device or computer. If you don't remember the password, get sign-in help.
- If you've set a screen lock, make sure that you know your phone's PIN, pattern or password. If you can't unlock your phone, find out what you can do.
Tip: If you have recently reset your Google Account password, wait 24 hours before performing a factory reset.
A factory data reset erases your data from the phone. While data stored in your Google Account can be restored, all apps and their data will be uninstalled.
To be ready to restore your data, make sure that it's in your Google Account. Learn how to:
A factory reset can take up to an hour.
- Plug your phone into a power source. Keep it plugged in until the reset completes.
- Connect your phone to Wi-Fi or your mobile network. When the reset completes, you'll need to be connected to sign in to your Google Account.
- Open your phone's settings app.
- Tap System Advanced Reset options.
- Tap Erase all data (factory reset) Reset phone. If needed, enter your PIN, pattern or password.
- To erase all data from your phone's internal storage, tap Erase everything.
- When your phone has finished erasing, pick the option to restart.
- Set up your phone and restore your backed-up data. Find out how to restore data on a phone.
Still can’t reset your Pixel phone?
If you still have issues with your phone, you can post your questions to the Pixel community on our forums for other possible solutions.