You can use Bluetooth, Wi-Fi, or NFC to share content with other devices near yours. You can share things like photos, videos, documents, and links.
Important: Some of these steps only work on Android 6.0 and up. Learn how to check your Android version.
Turn sharing on or off
Share content with someone
- Open the content, like a photo or webpage.
- Tap Share Nearby .
- You may need to tap Turn on.
- Hold your phone and your friend’s device close to each other.
- Under "Looking for nearby devices," tap your friend’s device.
- After the content has been sent, tap Done.
Get content from someone
- You’ll get a notification that someone is sharing content.
- If you haven’t already, to make your device visible, tap the notification.
- If you’re asked to turn on Nearby Share, Bluetooth, or Location, tap Turn on.
- If you didn’t get the notification or if your friend can’t find your device, fix problems sharing content with these steps.
- To get the content, tap Accept.
Choose who can share content with you
- From the top of your screen, swipe down.
- Tap Nearby Share .
- If you can’t find Nearby Share , from the top of the screen, swipe down twice and tap Edit . Then drag Nearby Share to your Quick Settings.
- Choose your options:
- Everyone: Your device is visible to anyone who is nearby while your screen is on and unlocked.
- Contacts: Your device is visible to your nearby contacts while your screen is on and unlocked. You can choose to make your device visible to all contacts or select specific contacts.
- Hidden: Your device is only visible when someone tries to share content and you make your device visible.
Fix problems sharing content
If you try to share or receive content, but it doesn’t work, try these steps:
- On the receiver’s phone, to make your phone visible, swipe down from the top of the screen. In your Quick Settings, tap Nearby Share .
- On both phones, check if Bluetooth is turned on. Learn how to turn on Bluetooth.
- On both phones, check if Location is turned on. Learn how to turn on location.
- Bring the devices close together, within 1 foot (30 cm) of each other.
- Turn Airplane mode on, and then off.
- Turn your phone off, then back on.
- Wait until no one else is sharing content with the other phone.