Get started with Google Photos
Learn how to use Google Photos with this step-by-step guide. Some things you'll learn:
- How to search your photos
- How to add filters
- How to restore deleted photos
Step 1: Download the app, then take a photo
- Install the Google Photos app.
- After installing the app, take a photo of yourself or the setting around you.
Step 2: Find photos fast
When you open the Google Photos app, you'll see all the photos and videos on your device and, if you turned on "back up & sync," anything else synced to your Google Photos library.
Let's practice finding photos:Find the photo you just took
- Open the Google Photos app .
- At the bottom, tap Photos .
- You should see the photo you just took at the top. Try scrolling down to see what else is there.
Think of a memorable photo that's on your phone or tablet. Try to remember something in the photo, like a dog, the beach, or where you were.
- In the box at the top, type the name of something that's in the photo, like "beach," "dog," or "Paris."
- At the bottom right of the keyboard, tap Enter. This may vary by device.
Learn how to find people, places, and other things in your photos.
Edit photos with filters
Let's use the photo you just took and add some fun to it.Add a filter
- Open the Google Photos app .
- Tap the photo you want to edit > Edit .
- At the bottom, tap Filter .
- Scroll through the filters at the bottom. Select a few to see how they look.
Tip: You can tap a filter twice to adjust the intensity.
- At the top right, tap SAVE.
If you have "back up & sync" on, your edits will sync across anywhere else you use Google Photos, so you only have to make changes once. Learn how to do other cool things with your photos.
Share your photo with someone
Let's take that photo you just edited and share it with someone.
- The photo you just edited should still be on your screen. At the bottom left, tap the share icon > Create link.
- Use a messaging or email app to send someone the link you just copied.
Delete blurry or unwanted photos
Take another 3 photos with your phone or tablet. Let's choose the best one and delete the rest.Delete unwanted photos
- Open the Google Photos app.
- At the bottom, tap Photos . You should see the 3 photos you just took.
- Open each photo and choose the one you like best. When you're done, go back to the main Photos screen.
- Touch and hold a photo that you want to move to trash. Select another photo you want to move to trash.
- At the top right, tap Trash .
If you have "back up & sync" on, things you move to trash will be moved to trash anywhere else you use Google Photos, so you only have to make changes once. Learn more about deleting photos and videos.
Imagine you change your mind and you want one of those photos back.
- At the top left, tap Menu > Trash. Everything you see in your trash can be recovered, but items will be permanently deleted after 60 days in the trash.
- Touch and hold a photo you just deleted.
- At the top right, tap Restore . This will put the photo back into the Photos section of the app.
Learn more about restoring photos and videos.