Frequently asked questions
Can I opt out of having taxes withheld?By law, the 25% tax for purchases made by Brazilian customers applies to all merchants that receive payments from Google in any currency other than Brazilian Real (BRL). Because the tax is required, the only way to opt-out of this Brazilian tax is to remove your app from distribution in Brazil.
Why did the instant verification of my bank account fail?Here are some things to keep in mind when attempting to instantly verify your bank account:
- Check that the name of your bank is correctly entered into your payment profile. If it's wrong, go back and re-enter your bank account and verify your bank account details.
- Make sure you’re entering the name and password that you use to sign in to your online banking account, not the ones that you use for your payments profile.
- If instant verification fails because there was a problem connecting to your bank, you can try again later or use the test deposit verification method.
- Before you enter your account information, make sure your browser shows a more secure connection. Learn more about identifying a more secure web connection.
What is escheatment?
Companies in the U.S. are obliged to give assets that they believe are abandoned to the U.S. state governments. The appropriate state government is the state where you've told us you reside; if you reside outside the U.S., then the state of Delaware, our state of incorporation, is the appropriate state government. If your balance has already been escheated to the state government, then you can apply to your state government unclaimed property office to have the money returned to you. For further direction, please visit https://www.usa.gov/unclaimed-money.
How is the threshold calculated to determine if I must file a Form 1099-K?
The IRS regulation requires reporting the total or gross sales amount and gross number of transactions, without adjustment for refunds, chargebacks, or adjustments.
Will I get a copy of the Form 1099-K if I only meet one of the thresholds?
No, a merchant will only get a copy of the Form 1099 if they satisfy all of the criteria.
How will I get a copy of the Form 1099-K?
Copies of Form 1099-K are sent annually through postal mail by January 31.
What if I don't provide my TIN or provide an inaccurate TIN?
If you don't provide the required information and certify that it's accurate, Google may take a range of actions including withholding merchant payments and suspending processing of transactions.
What tax forms do non-US merchants have to file?If you are an international merchant based outside of the US, you will be required to submit the Certificate of Foreign Status (Form W-8BEN) from within your payments profile. The IRS requires international merchants who process sales in the US to provide the Certificate of Foreign Status (Form W-8BEN) in order to be exempt from US tax reporting requirements. For more information about the W-8BEN, visit http://www.irs.gov/formspubs/.
What kinds of notifications will I receive?All merchants will receive email notifications for certain payments events, including when a:
- Merchant payment has been issued
- Bank account verification deposit from Google has failed
- New primary form of payment has been selected
- Merchant payment (EFT, Wire, etc.) has failed
See how to Add or change payments user email permissions.
Why did my test deposit fail?There are a number of reasons why your test deposit might fail:
- You entered an incorrect bank account number or bank routing number or codes (required information varies by country)
- Your bank account is closed
- "Account holder name" was not EXACTLY the same as the name on your bank account
- Your bank is not located in the same country you entered in your payments profile
- Your bank account is not in the local currency of the country entered in your payments profile
- Your bank account is not set up to receive incoming ACH (automated clearing house) and EFT (electronic funds transfer) payments
- Your bank code changed as the result of a recent bank merger
If your test deposit has failed, you'll see a "deposit failed" message on the page which you submitted your bank account information. If you see this message, re-enter your bank information to make sure there wasn't a typo. You may also wish to contact your bank to confirm the exact details that you need and Enter your bank account information again.
If the error persists and you receive a message stating that the account has already been entered, contact usand we'll be happy to assist you.
Can I edit my payments contact’s email address?
Yes. You can add and remove users and edit your email preferences at any time. Whenever you save a new payments user, they will receive a notification email to verify their email address before Google sends any future payments email.
Note that if you check the “Primary payments contact” box, by default the payments contact will receive all billing notifications.
Can I choose the type of email notifications I’d like to get?Yes. There are 3 types of notifications:
Does a payments user's permissions have to match their user access permissions?
No. It is possible to add a user as a payments contact that not have signin credentials - this means that your accounting department can receive information about your payments events without having access to the order details or sign in information. See how to Add and remove users or change permissions.
What do I do if I didn't receive my merchant payment from Google?
If you have not received an expected merchant payment, note:
- Merchant payments that are made by wire transfer may be delayed. Check with your bank for assistance and more information.
- Payment dates (the 15th of the month) that fall on a holiday or weekend will occur on the following business day (for example if the 15th falls on holiday on a Monday, the payment will occur on Tuesday the 16th)
- Check that your minimum threshold for payments has been met
- Payments could take up to 5 business days (longer in some countries) to settle in your bank account
- Make sure your bank account has been verified. If you still need help with a payment, contact us.