All products are automatically assigned a product category from Google’s continuously evolving product taxonomy. Providing high-quality, on-topic titles and descriptions, as well as accurate pricing, brand, and GTIN information will help ensure your products are correctly categorized.
google_product_category attribute is optional, and can be used to override Google’s automatic categorization in specific cases.
When to use
Optional for each product.
Google will only accept a product category override in the following cases:
- Calculation of US taxes. For products sold in the US, you can override Google’s automatic categorization to ensure that the correct US tax rate is applied to your product.
- Enforcement of category-specific attribute requirements. Some product categories (such as Apparel & Accessories, Mobile Phones, or Software) impose additional required fields. If Google incorrectly assigns your product to one of these categories, use this attribute to override the categorization and remove the category-specific requirements.
- Targeting of Google Ads campaigns. If you’ve defined any of your ad campaigns based upon Google’s product categories, you can use this attribute to reassign products within your campaign structure. Learn more about managing a Shopping campaign with product groups.
- Alcohol. Alcoholic beverages must be correctly categorized. If the category of your product is incorrectly assigned, you can use the
google_product_categoryattribute to override it and ensure that your product remains compliant. Learn more about our alcoholic beverages policy.
Follow these formatting guidelines to make sure we understand the data you're submitting.
Predefined Google product category: the ID or the full path of the product category
Download a list of all Google product categories:
To download this list in another language:
To prevent garbled text in the .txt version, use one of these methods:
1 category per product
|File format||Example entry|
To format your data for Content API, see the Content API for Shopping.
- Use only a predefined Google product category. You can choose to submit either the ID or the full path of the product category. If you want to submit your own product category, use the
- Use the one category that best describes your product. Choose the category based on your product’s main function. For example, even though an MP3 player might have other functions, like a clock, its main function is as an MP3 player. So you would use the MP3 player category:
Electronics > Audio > Audio Players & Recorders > MP3 Players(
- Use the most specific category possible. For example, an MP3 player charger, use the MP3 player accessories category:
Electronics > Audio > Audio Accessories > MP3 Player Accessories(
232). Don’t just use:
- Use categories published after August 2011. Don’t use categories that were published before August 2011. Use the links above for the latest values.
These best practices can help you go beyond the basic requirements to optimize your product data for performance.
- Use the latest categories. In Google Ads, bidding on Shopping campaigns is based on the latest categories. While you can submit any version of the categories published after August 2011, we'll translate these to the latest version. So if you use out-of-date categories, what you submit might not match what you see.
Review each section closely to determine if the requirements apply to your country or product. If you don't follow requirements that apply to you, we'll disapprove your product and let you know in the Diagnostics page of your Merchant Center account.
google_product_categoryvalues that you supply in your feed to help determine the tax rate for products you sell directly on Google in applicable states. Learn more about marketplace facilitator tax
In Australia, Brazil, France, Germany, Italy, the Netherlands, Norway, Sweden, Turkey, the United Kingdom, and the United States, you can use the
google_product_category (displayed as “Category”) to help organize your product groups in your Shopping ads campaigns. For all other countries, you can only use the
product_type attribute to help organize your product groups for bidding in your Shopping campaign. Learn more about managing a Shopping campaign with product groups
- Make sure your product meets the alcoholic beverages policy.
- Use the following Google product categories when submitting alcohol-related products:
Food, Beverages & Tobacco > Beverages > Alcoholic Beverages(
499676) or any of its subcategories
Arts & Entertainment > Hobbies & Creative Arts > Homebrewing & Winemaking Supplies(
3577) or any of its subcategories
- Use the Google product category that's most appropriate for your bundle of different products. If the bundle contains a main product, use the category of the main product. For example, for a digital camera bundled with a bag, use:
Cameras & Optics > Cameras > Digital Cameras(
- Use the following Google product categories to let us know when you're submitting a mobile phone or tablet with a contract or an installment plan:
Electronics > Communications > Telephone > Mobile Phones(
Electronics > Computers > Tablet Computers(
- For mobile phones sold with a contract, you may set the
priceattribute to 0. If you submit a price of 0, you’ll need to set the
google_product_categoryattribute to: E
lectronics > Communications > Telephony > Mobile Phones(
- Use the following Google product category to let us know when you're submitting a gift card:
Arts & Entertainment > Party & Celebration > Gift Giving > Gift Cards & Certificates(
- Use the
Software > Computer Software(
313) category to let us know when you're submitting a software subscription, or use one of its subcategories. For example:
Software > Computer Software > Antivirus & Security Software(
||Skater dress - Black|
||Clothing & Accessories > Clothing > Dresses|
|Product||Google Malibu sunglasses|
||Google Malibu sunglasses - Brown|
|Product||Google Jacket Black|
||Google Men's Performance Full Zip Jacket Black|
||Clothing & Accessories > Clothing > Outerwear > Coats & Jackets|
|Product||Google Performance Pullover|
||Google Men's Performance 1/4 Zip Pullover Heather/Black|
||Clothing & Accessories > Clothing > Outerwear|
||Google Tri-blend Hoodie Grey|
||Clothing & Accessories > Clothing|
|Product||White gold wedding band|
||White Gold Wedding Band - 14K - 3mm|
||Clothing & Accessories> Jewelry > Rings|
|Product||Platinum-plated engagement ring|
||Round Platinum-Plated Classic Engagement Ring|
||Clothing & Accessories > Jewelry|
|Product||Quartz multi-finger ring|
||Silver Quartz Multi-Finger Ring|
||Clothing & Accessories|
|Product||Google Pixel 3|
||Google Pixel 3 - 32 GB - Midnight Blue - With contract|
||Electronics > Communications > Telephony > Mobile Phones|
|Product||Google Security Software Basic Edition (1-year subscription)|
||Google Security Software Basic Edition (1-year subscription)|
||Software > Computer Software > Antivirus & Security Software|