Step 2: Create a promotion
This article provides details about the two options you can use to create a promotion.
You must create promotions in order to provide details about offers you want to share with Google shoppers. When you add promotions to products that you sell on Google, shoppers see a “special offer” link (e.g. 15% off, free shipping, etc.)
Option 1: Use the promotions tool
The Promotions tool is located in the Promotions dashboard of your Merchant Center account. It allows you to manually enter individual promotions. Use the Promotions tool if you have a small number of promotions to submit.
To add promotions manually, follow the steps below:
- Log in to your Merchant Center account
- Select Merchant Promotions from the left-hand navigation
- Click Promotions
- Click the blue plus button
- Select the promotion categories that best fit your promotion. Follow the prompts and click Save
The promotions categories supported in the builder:
- Amount off: Offer a monetary discount for your items
- Percent off: Offer a percentage discount for your items
- Free gift: Offer a free gift based on an item purchase or amount spent
- Free shipping: Offer free shipping based on an item purchase or amount spent
The promotion builder allows you to specify the spend thresholds, discount amounts, gift descriptions, and more. After you select your promotion category, the tool will display all of the applicable options for your promotion. Follow the prompts and guides in the new tool to create your promotion.
The promotion will appear in your dashboard. Follow the steps above for each promotion that you want to submit individually.
Note: To edit a
promotion_id, re-submit the
promotion_id with the updated information.
Option 2: Create a promotions feed
The promotions feed is a spreadsheet that contains all of the promotions you use online. Use a Promotions feed if you have a high volume of promotions to submit.
To get started, you’ll need to create a spreadsheet (e.g. txt file, .xml file, or Google Sheets).
For complete details, refer to the Merchant Promotions feed specification.