Step 1: Create a promotion
There are two ways to create and submit a promotion: with the Promotions tool in the Promotions dashboard of your Merchant Center or by submitting a promotions feed.
The Promotions tool is useful if you only have a few promotions to submit.
To use the tool:
- In the page menu, click Promotions.
- Click the plus button .
- Next enter the necessary details and click Save. The promotion will appear in your dashboard.
Promotion id’s that you submit through this tool can also be edited by submitting the same promotion_id through the form with the updated information.
Please note if your promotion is product specific, you will still need to map the promotion_id to your Product feed. Also note that the time will default to the time zone of your device, so if you would like for the promotion to be in a different time zone, you will need to adjust the redemption start and end times manually. See more under "promotion_effective_dates" in our feed specifications.
Using a Promotions feed is useful if you have a higher volume of promotions to submit because you can submit multiple promotions with one feed which you can create in a spreadsheet. The promotions feed captures all the core information about your promotion in a .txt, .xml file, or Google Spreadsheet. See our Merchant Promotions feed specification for more details on the attributes that can be included in the feed. Refer to this article to learn more about submitting data feeds via Google Sheets.
Pay close attention to your promotion titles. These should capture all the critical information about your promotion specifics. Keep it clean, simple, and always include the purchase requirement for redeeming the promotion. Do not:
- Include exclamation marks, periods, or all-caps
- Use text that could be misleading (e.g., “Get up to 90% off”)
- Include redemption instructions or codes (these are captured elsewhere in the UI).
- Good 'long title': “25% off hat purchase of $100 or more”
- Bad 'long title': “50-year anniversary SALE! Get 25% off hats with code at checkout!”