Diagnostics offers issue reporting across your account, feeds, and items grouped by the context in which your product data might be shown. It also displays product eligibility issues and product data warnings, and provides insight into account setup, data quality and policy violations. With the unified reporting offered in Diagnostics, you can gain better insight into the health of your product data, making it easier to identify and resolve issues.
This article explains the features available in Diagnostics and how to use them.
Diagnostics includes reporting tools such as:
- A historic overview of the status of your products, allowing you to analyse the root cause of past changes in traffic.
- A context filter that displays granular information about the status of your product data based on what it's being used for.
- A downloadable report containing all affected items, or single issue item reports and the reasons for disapprovals.
- Impacted click metrics used to identify the number of products affected by errors and issues.
To view Diagnostics:
- Sign in to your Merchant Center account.
- Click Products from the navigational menu, then click Diagnostics.
Diagnostics features three tabs: Item issues, Feed issues and Account issues. Under the Item issues tab, you can view the stacked graph of items and their status. All three pages include a list of issues.
- Stacked graph: This graph displays online and local items in your account targeting the selected destination and their current and historical status. If you target multiple countries, the graph shows the status once for each country that you target. For example, if you have 5 active offers that target 3 countries, the graph will show the status of 15 items, once for every country where each offer appears. Above the graph, you'll see the latest number of items that are disapproved, pending, expiring or active when the page was loaded. You can click or unclick the coloured tiles above the graph to display the information that's most relevant to you. If you click on the chart and select a previous date, all data on the page will update to reflect this point in time.
- List of issues: Below the graph you can find more granular information on issues sorted by severity. Hover over issues that you'd like to learn more about to reveal links to relevant articles.
Detailed account, feed and item issues
To view more details about the issues in Diagnostics, you can click on the 'Account issues', 'Feed issues' and 'Item issues' tabs.
Account issues: This section contains issues that affect your entire account or an entire country. This includes issues such as 'no linked Google Ads account' and 'no verified/claimed homepage'. It also includes policy and data quality account-level warnings and disapprovals. For the warnings, you'll see a deadline by when you need to fix the issue.
Feed issues: This section lists data feeds that have an overarching issue that prevents Google from processing an entire feed, such as upload issues, fetch errors and expired feeds. For a full list of your feed processing issues, use the reporting available on Feeds.
Item issues: This section contains issues that impact individual items, from feed processing to data quality and policy violations. If items are affected by multiple issues, they'll be included in all of them. Click on the number of affected items to view a sample of up to 50 items impacted by that issue. You can download a report that contains all of the affected items in your account and their issues across all of your target countries from the main page of the item issues section, or you can download a report for a single item issue.
Note that after you've fixed any issues with your product data and uploaded a new feed, Feeds will be updated immediately but there will be a delay until all of the data in Diagnostics is refreshed. Check the selected date and time in Diagnostics to see the last time that the data was refreshed.
In order to help you prioritise and resolve your highest-impact issues immediately, the 'Account issues' and 'Feed issues' pages are organised by severity. Each page displays issues with icons indicating severity, such as a red icon for 'error/disapproved' or a yellow icon for 'warning'. Additionally, you can view the number of clicks received in the past 30 days on currently affected items, divided by the number of clicks received in the same period on all currently submitted items. This percentage highlights issues that might have caused a recent drop in traffic.
Within each severity level, issues are ranked by the number of affected items.
Errors and disapprovals: These are the most serious issues and usually indicate account suspensions or item disapprovals. These issues stop your products from being shown to users. Please resolve all errors as soon as possible so that your products will be eligible to appear in results again.
Warnings: These are issues that could negatively impact the performance of your ads and that are likely to lead to item or account suspensions in the future unless you resolve the issue.
custom_label_x [custom_label_x]values, these CSV files include these attributes for helpful grouping of products. See Items issues download for more information.
You can filter the data in Diagnostics by destination, country or feed.
Destination: Filter for specific contexts and programmes such as local inventory ads. This is set to 'Shopping Ads' by default.
Country: Filter for items targeting a specific country.
Feeds: Filter for items submitted through a feed or the Content API.
If filters have been set in Diagnostics, downloadable reports will only include items that are shown with these filters. For example, if the feed filter is set to Content API, all downloadable reports will only contain items submitted via the API.
If you want to download a report detailing the affected items for an issue, you have two options:
- Full download: This report contains all of the affected items for all issues. You can download the full report by clicking on the download button to the right of the timestamp, located directly under the stacked item graph.
You can also try exporting it directly to Google Cloud using Merchant Center export (beta).
- Single issue download: This report contains all of the affected items for one issue. You can download single issue reports by clicking on the download button to the right of each specific item issue.
If products have been submitted to Merchant Center with custom labels, downloadable reports can help you find important items with issues. Once the reports have been downloaded, you can filter the CSV file for custom label values, such as 'important', 'best seller' or 'seasonal'.
google_product_category [google_product_category](GPC) or
product_type [product_type]values, the downloadable report will include these attributes, allowing you to filter for a specific category of relevant items.
View historical data
Clicking on a specific point in the item graph will refresh Diagnostics data and display historical information for the corresponding day. This historical view will show all item-level issues that were in effect at that point in time.
You can use this historical data to identify recent changes to your items and identify possible causes for a drop in traffic to your landing pages.