Google Meet automatically switches the layout in a video call to display the most active content and participants.
You can change the number of participants you see on your screen. The number of tiles may change depending on the size of your browser window.
- On a computer, join a video meeting.
- At the bottom, click More Change layout . Choose an option:
- Auto: the view that Meet chooses for you. By default, you’ll see 9 tiles on your screen.
- Tiled: the view that can display up to 49 people at the same time. By default, you’ll see 16 tiles on your screen.
- At the bottom of the window, move the slider to the number of tiles you want to see on your screen.
- Spotlight: the active speaker or shared screen fills the entire window.
- Sidebar: the main image is of the active speaker or shared screen. You’ll see thumbnails of additional participants on the side.
- Your new layout preference is automatically saved, but the number of tiles will revert back to the default setting at the start of every meeting.
When you use tiles in your layout, you may experience performance issues, such as your video freezing. To try to fix the problems, you can:
- Close any open browser tabs, windows or apps that aren’t currently being used.
- Reduce the number of tiles in your layout
- Turn off your camera
If you’re still experiencing issues with Meet, check if your device has the recommended hardware.
You can choose whether or not you would like to see yourself appear alongside other participants in a meeting. You will not see yourself among participants if you select the Spotlight layout or have pinned another participant.
Turn on self-view in a video call:
Important: Your self-view is off by default, and your preferences have been saved for later calls.
- In the top-right corner of your screen, hover over your self preview click Show in a tile .
- On the People panel, click Show in a tile .
Turn off self-view in a video call:
- In the top-right corner of your screen, hover over your self preview click Remove tile .
- On the People panel, click Remove tile .
- Hover over your tile in the video grid click Remove tile .
Tip: When your self-view is turned off, you can still see yourself in a small preview at the top right-hand corner of the screen.