Live-stream a video meeting
This feature is available with the G Suite Enterprise and G Suite Enterprise for Education editions. For details, see Compare G Suite editions.
You can live-stream a Hangouts Meet video meeting and let up to 100,000 people from your organization watch in view-only mode. To broadcast a meeting, add a live-stream link in the Google Calendar event and send it to guests.
You can still invite people to participate in a meeting that you live-stream and record it. You can also stop and start the stream during the meeting.
System and network requirementsSupported viewing browsers
- Chrome Browser
- Microsoft® Edge®
- Mozilla® Firefox®
- Apple® Safari®
Create a live-stream event
To broadcast a video meeting, add live streaming to a Calendar event.Add live streaming to a Calendar event
To schedule a live-stream event, use Calendar and Meet on a computer or on a Chromebox or Chromebase for meetings.
When you add live streaming to a Calendar event, guests can join and participate like a normal Meet video meeting or they can join using the live-stream link. View-only guests won’t be able to interact with the guests in the meeting.
- In Google Calendar, create or open an event.
- Click Add rooms, location, or conferencing.
- Click Add conferencing Hangouts Meet.
- Next to Join Hangouts Meet, click the Down arrow Add live stream.
- (Optional) To send people the link to the live stream in an email or to paste it into the event description, click Copy .
- Click Save.
You can create a separate view-only version of the event that you want to live-stream. Guests you invite to the view-only event can only join the live stream. They cannot interact with the participants in the meeting or others watching the live stream.
To create a view-only event:
- In Google Calendar, click the live-stream event.
- Click More Create view-only event.
- Add view-only guests and rooms.
- Click Save.
- Share the joining information and live-stream link for the meeting by inviting guests to the Calendar event.
- Copy and paste the live- stream URL in an email and send it to guests. Guests can share the live-stream link, but only people from your organization can watch the live stream.
- Create a separate view-only event. Guests you invite to this event cannot participate in the meeting.
- In Calendar, click the event.
- Click Edit .
- Next to Join Hangouts Meet, click the Down arrow Remove Live Stream.
- Click Save.
Participate in a live-stream eventStart and stop live-streaming
During the meeting:
- Click More Start streaming.
- Click Start streaming to confirm.
In the top-left corner, you see “Live” when streaming is on. View-only guests can now watch the meeting using the live-stream link.
- If you want to stop streaming, click More Stop streaming Stop streaming again to confirm.
- Click the live-stream link in the Calendar event or an email.
- Watch from a meeting room that is added to the event and set up with Chromebox or Chromebase for meetings.
When you watch a live-stream event, you can:
- Stop and start the live playback.
- Adjust the playback speed and video quality.
- Play the video on a TV.
- Switch to full-screen mode.
Manage live-stream events on mobile devicesWatch a live-stream event on mobile
- Tap the live-stream link in the calendar invitation or email. The live stream opens in your mobile device’s browser.
- Sign in with your G Suite account. You must be from the same domain as the meeting organizer.