You can find info and get things done with your Google Assistant while you drive. Ask it questions and tell it to do things in Google Maps so you can focus on the road.
Tip: This feature isn't available in all languages and countries/regions.
Use Google Assistant's Driving mode
Assistant driving mode helps you complete actions while you drive. With your voice, you can read and send messages, make calls, and control media.
Important: Some features aren't available in all languages, countries, or eligible Android devices.
What you need
An Android phone with:
- Android Version 9.0 or higher
- 4 GB RAM or more
- Portrait mode only
- Location in Australia, Canada, France, Germany, India, Italy, Mexico, Spain, United Kingdom, or United States
- For your safety and convenience, dock your phone while in Assistant driving mode.
- To get message notifications:
- Tap Settings Apps & notifications Advanced Special app access Notification access Google.
- Turn on Allow notification access.
- To make calls and send messages to your contacts : Grant device contacts permission.
Turn on or off Driving mode in Google Maps
- On your Android phone or tablet, open the Google Maps app .
- Tap your profile picture or initial Settings Navigation settings Google Assistant settings.
- Turn on or off Driving mode.
Talk to your Google Assistant
- On your Android phone or tablet, open the Google Maps app . If you haven't used Google Assistant yet, set up the Google Assistant.
- Navigate to a place. You can also say, "Ok Google, navigate home."
- In navigation mode, say “Ok Google” or tap the Assistant microphone .
- Ask the Google Assistant to help with something.
Get help from Google Assistant
- "Call Mom."
- "Send a text to Larry” or "Send an SMS to Sergey.”
- "I'm feeling lucky."
- "What's the weather like?" or "How's the weather in Seattle?"
- "Play some jazz" or “Stop playing music.”
- "When's my next meeting?"
Travel and nearby places
- "What road is this?"
- “Gas stations nearby.”
- “When does [name of place] close?”
- "Show route overview" or "Show alternate routes."
- "Restaurants nearby."
Directions and navigation
- "What’s my next turn?" or “Next step.”
- “How long until I get there?”
- "How's traffic ahead?" or "How's traffic to home?"
- "Show traffic" or "Hide traffic."
- "Show satellite view" or "Hide satellite view."
- "Avoid tolls" or "Allow tolls."
- "Mute voice guidance” or “Unmute voice guidance.”
- “Show list of directions.”
- "Avoid highways" or "Allow highways."
- “What’s my destination?” or “How far is my destination?”
- "Exit navigation."
- “Where am I?”
- “Are we there yet?”
You can also ask the Google Assistant for info and help with everyday tasks. Learn what else you can ask.