Assistant driving mode helps you get things done while you navigate with Google Maps. With Assistant driving mode you can read and send messages, make calls, and control media with your voice, without leaving Google Maps navigation.
Important: Some features aren't available in all languages or countries.
What you need
An Android phone with:
- Android Version 9.0 or higher
- 4GB RAM or more
- Portrait mode only
Start driving mode
- On your Android phone, open the Google Maps app .
- Search for your destination or tap it on the map.
- Tap Start.
Tip: You can also say, “Hey Google, navigate to [destination].”
What you can ask Assistant driving mode
Tip: To use commands, you can either say “Hey Google,” or before you speak, tap Microphone .
- Make a call: Say “Make a call” or “Call [contact].”
- Answer a call: Assistant will say “Call from [contact], do you want to pick it up?”
- Send a message: "Send a message to [contact]” or “Send a message.”
- Get your messages: “Read my messages.”
- Listen to music: “Play [artist],” or “Play [genre].”
Use App Launcher
App Launcher gives you quick access to apps you can use while you drive, like YouTube Music, Google Podcasts, or other music providers.
Important: Recommendations given by apps like Spotify or Pandora are based on your history in those apps, not Google.
- Start driving mode in the Google Maps app .
- In driving mode, at the bottom right, tap App Launcher .
- Tap an app.
Important: If you turn on call settings for driving mode, incoming calls will automatically be announced.
You can manage driving related settings for Assistant, turn driving mode on or off, and have Assistant manage your incoming calls and read and reply to your messages while driving.
- On your Android phone or tablet, say "Hey Google, open Assistant settings."
- Tap Transportation Driving mode.
Tip: You can also access settings in driving mode or the Google Maps app.
- Settings through driving mode: Tap App Launcher Settings .
- Settings through the Google Maps app: Tap Your profile picture or initial Settings Navigation settings Google Assistant settings.