You can search for places and locations with Google Maps.
When you sign in to Google Maps, you can get more detailed search results. You can find places you've searched for before and search for your contacts by name.
Search for a place on Google Maps
- On your iPhone or iPad, open the Google Maps app .
- At the top, tap the search box and enter an address, name of a place, or a category, like gas stations or groceries.
- To use voice search, tap Speak .
Filter your search results on Google Maps
Not all filtering options are available for all languages and countries/regions.
- On your iPhone or iPad, search for a type of business, restaurant, or place.
- Below your search results, tap Filter.
- Select what you want to filter. Then, tap Apply.
Tips for searches on Google Maps
- Specific businesses:
- Types of places:
coffee near central park.
- Narrow your results by using the city and state:
groceries in Atlanta, GA.
- Narrow your results by using a zip code:
gas in 94131.
- Find an intersection:
23rd and mission.
- Address, city, state, country, or airport:
1600 Amphitheater Parkway Mountain View CA, LAX, Los Angeles Airport, or Mount Everest, Nepal.
- Latitude and longitude coordinates:
- Friends and other contacts (you must be signed in):
- Other names of people in your G Suite Contacts.
Get more info about a place
To get more information about a place, do one of the following:
- Select a mini pin on the map.
- Drop a pin on the map.
- Search for a specific place.
You can get information about the place like the address, hours of operation, phone number, website, and ratings or reviews.
Tip: To find a place’s website, save a place, find directions, and share a place, you can use 3D Touch on iPhone 6s and up. To turn on 3D Touch, go to the Settings app General Accessibility 3D Touch. Then, open Google Maps and hard press on a place.
Find search suggestions for places
- Sign in to Google Maps.
- Open Google Maps or the Google Maps app .
- In the search box, start typing a search, like
- Personalized search results might appear under the search box.
- Choose a place to check it on the map and get more information.
Tip: Your search results can include places you've searched for before. If you're signed in to your Google Account but you don't get personalized search results, make sure that Web & App Activity is turned on.
General places on the map
Local results appear for people who search for businesses and places near their location. They're shown in various places across Maps and Search.
For example, if you search for "Italian restaurant" from your mobile device, you can get local results. Google shows you nearby restaurants that you’d want to visit.
Several factors, primarily relevance, distance, and prominence, influences the local results. These factors are combined to help find the best match for your search.
For example, if what you’re looking for is likely in a business that’s farther away from you, Google algorithms might decide to rank it higher in local results.Learn more about local search results in Google.
Tip: Payment from other companies doesn’t influence results in Google Maps. Paid content in Google Maps is labeled.
Places relevant to you
You can check for personalized searches on Google Maps.
Here are some examples of where this information may come from:
Within Google Maps
Personalized places you find may come from:
- Your interactions with places on the map, including Google maps that you use on other sites.
- Your recent searches, including searches for directions.
- Places you've saved or starred on your computer, phone, or tablet.
- Places rated or reviewed by you or people in your circles.
- Your home and work addresses, if you set them on Google Maps or your feed.