Get set up and learn the basics of Google Maps with this guide. You can use Google Maps on your computer or use the Google Maps app on your phone or tablet.
This guide can teach you how to set up Google Maps and also explains various features within Maps.
Set your home or work addresses
Find directions from your home or work quicker when you set your home and work addresses. You can also find the fastest route to shorten your commute.Learn how to set your work and home addresses.
Tip: This information may be shared with other Google products and services.
Get info about a place
After you find a place on the map you can:
- Get directions to it.
- Get info like business hours and menus.
- Find Street View imagery.
Get directions & start navigation
On a phone or tablet, at the bottom of your map, tap Go . Get travel times and directions to places you might go next, like your home, work, or calendar appointments.
Learn how to get directions and start navigation.
Understand Google Maps app features
To help you access features faster, Google Maps app has been updated.
When you open the Google Maps app, you can find 5 tabs at the bottom of the Home Screen:
- Explore : Choose where to go.
- Go : What to expect along your frequent trips.
- Saved : Create lists and recall places.
- Contribute : Share experiences, add info and reviews, and fix problems.
- Updates : Get notifications for relevant information.
Features like Location sharing, Timeline, and offline maps are available in the top right, in the profile picture or initial .
How to access Google Maps features
You can find detailed reviews and descriptions of the most popular establishments and hotspots in the area. You can search for popular locations, local events, trendy restaurants, or things to do in Google Maps.
For more info on how to use the Explore tab, refer to Search for nearby places and explore the area.
Find all of your frequent trips in one tap. You can get information about your ETA and the traffic reports and the accidents along the way.
You can use the Saved tab to find personalized content like:
- Recently saved places
- Your lists
- My maps
To add places, write reviews, upload photos, or suggest an edit, at the bottom, tap Contribute .
You can also submit corrections to roads and places, manage your Maps profile, and find your contribution views and impact.
- Get recommendations for places and things to do, and find what the people and merchants you follow have to say about places. Learn how to find places you’ll like.
- Check your messages in Google Maps. Learn how to send messages directly to businesses.
We moved some new features into Account Circle that were previously in different parts of the interface.
Features that haven't changed
- Sign in and out of your account
- Your data in Maps
- Turn on Incognito mode
Features that have moved into the Account Circle
- Your Business Profile
- Timeline: Find and manage your Location History info.
- Location Sharing: Choose who can find your location and whose location you can find on Google Maps.
- Offline maps: Find and manage your offline maps.
- Settings: Manage your Wi-Fi, distance units, notifications, and commute settings on Google Maps.
- Help & feedback: Access Help and submit feedback, like requesting corrections to roads and places from the same screen.
Manage your privacy settings
Tap your profile picture or initial to access and manage these privacy settings:
- Timeline: View and manage your Location History info.
- Location Sharing: Choose who can see your location and whose location you can see on Google Maps.
- Your data in Maps: Manage your privacy controls.
Tip: You can find and delete your Location history and download your Maps data.