Google Analytics gives you insights into how visitors find and use your website, app, or internet-connected device. The Google Analytics connector supports both Google Analytics 4 properties and Universal Analytics views.In this article:
How to connect to Google Analytics
You can connect Looker Studio to Google Analytics 4 properties, and to Universal Analytics ("Web") reporting views, including roll-up and subproperties.
You must have at least Read & Analyze permission to the Google Analytics 4 property or Universal Analytics view to which you connect.
- Sign in to Looker Studio.
- In the top left, click then select Data Source.
- Select the Analytics connector.
- If prompted to grant Looker Studio access to your account, click AUTHORIZE.
- Select an account.
- Select a property.
- To connect to Universal Analytics ("Web"), select a view.
- In the upper right, click CONNECT.
- The data source fields panel appears.
- The data source is now connected to your data set.
Configure the data source
The data source fields panel is where you configure the data source by renaming fields and adding descriptions, adding calculated fields, and changing data types and aggregations. Learn more about working with data source fields.
Control who sees the data
At the top of the fields panel, you can change the data credentials. Credentials control who can see the data provided by this data source.
OWNER'S CREDENTIALS lets other people view or create reports that use this data without requiring them to have their own access to the data set.
VIEWER'S CREDENTIALS, on the other hand, requires each user of the data source to provide their own credentials to access the data set.
Learn more about data credentials.
Create a new report from the data source
- In the upper right, click CREATE REPORT.
- The report editor appears.
- Click ADD TO REPORT.
- This adds the data source to report.
- You can now create charts and controls that get their data from this data source.
New to Looker Studio?
What data is available from Google Analytics?
For Google Analytics 4 connections
You can use Looker Studio to visualize a subset of the fields available in the Google Analytics Data API (GA4), including any custom fields defined for the property.
Limits of the Google Analytics 4 connector
- Looker Studio reports that connect to Google Analytics 4 data are subject to Google Analytics Data API (GA4) quotas. Reports that exceed these quotas may display an error messages. Learn more.
For Universal Analytics connections
You can use Looker Studio to visualize a subset of the dimensions and metrics that are available via the Google Analytics Reporting API. The Google Analytics connector does not provide access to multi-channel funnels or real-time data.
The sampling rate for the provided data depends (in part) on the date range: when the range does not include today, the connector returns the highest possible level of precision, with the lowest level of sampling. When the range includes today, the highest level of sampling is applied.
Google Analytics 360 customers get the same level of processing as available in Google Analytics.
Want to use this data source with different accounts? Try adding a data control.
The data control gives report viewers a way to select the account that provides the data they want to see in a report. This can eliminate the need to create separate reports and data sources for your various accounts. Learn more.