Google Analytics gives you insights into how visitors find and use your website, app, or internet-connected device. The Google Analytics connector supports both Google Analytics 4 properties and Universal Analytics views.In this article:
Universal Analytics is going away
On July 1, 2023, data sources that connect to standard Universal Analytics properties will stop providing new data. We strongly encourage you to make the switch to Google Analytics 4 as soon as possible. Learn more.
How to connect to Google Analytics 4
You must have at least Read & Analyze permission to the Google Analytics 4 property or Universal Analytics view to which you connect.
- Sign in to Looker Studio.
- In the top left, click then select Data Source.
- Select the Analytics connector.
- If prompted to grant Looker Studio access to your account, click AUTHORIZE.
- Select an account.
- Select a property.
- To connect to Universal Analytics ("Web"), select a view.
- In the upper right, click CONNECT.
- The data source fields panel appears.
- The data source is now connected to your data set.
Configure the data source
The data source fields panel is where you configure the data source by renaming fields and adding descriptions, adding calculated fields, and changing data types and aggregations. Learn more about working with data source fields.
Control who sees the data
At the top of the fields panel, you can change the data credentials. Credentials control who can see the data provided by this data source.
OWNER'S CREDENTIALS lets other people view or create reports that use this data without requiring them to have their own access to the data set.
VIEWER'S CREDENTIALS, on the other hand, requires each user of the data source to provide their own credentials to access the data set.
Learn more about data credentials.
Create a new report from the data source
- In the upper right, click CREATE REPORT.
- The report editor appears.
- Click ADD TO REPORT.
- This adds the data source to report.
- You can now create charts and controls that get their data from this data source.
New to Looker Studio?
Want to use this data source with different accounts? Try adding a data control.
The data control gives report viewers a way to select the account that provides the data they want to see in a report. This can eliminate the need to create separate reports and data sources for your various accounts. Learn more.
What data is available from Google Analytics?
You can use Looker Studio to visualize any of the fields available in the Google Analytics Data API (GA4), including any custom fields defined for the property.