Can't sign in to Hangouts or Google Talk & downloads are stuck at "Starting download..."
If you're not able to sign in to Hangouts (Android 2.3 and higher) or Google Talk on your device and you're having trouble downloading apps, please try the following troubleshooting steps:
- Make sure you have a strong Internet connection. Contact your carrier or your internet service provider if you're not able to establish a connection.
- If you're having trouble signing in to Hangouts or Google Talk using a mobile data connection, try signing in when using WiFi. If you're having trouble signing to either app using WiFi, try signing in when using a mobile data connection.
- If the problem persists only on WiFi, ensure firewalls aren’t blocking access to ports required for Google Talk and Google Play (TCP and UDP 5228).
- Make sure you have plenty of internal storage space available on your device (at least 20MB - you can check this by visiting Settings > Apps).
- Check that you have background data and auto sync enabled (visit Settings > Backup & reset > Back up my data).
If unsuccessful after attempting these steps, you may need to perform a factory data reset on your device (Settings > Backup & reset > Factory data reset), which will reset your device to its original state.