Your Google Nest × Yale Lock connects to the internet through a Google Nest Connect or Google Nest Guard in your home. It does not directly connect to Wi-Fi. If your Nest x Yale Lock is offline, there are still some ways you can lock and unlock your door.
Here are some things to keep in mind if your lock is offline:
- If your lock can't reach Guard or Connect, it will appear as "Offline" on the Nest app.
- Even if your lock is offline, most passcodes will still work. So will the thumb turn inside your home. Learn more about locking and unlocking.
Note: Anyone with scheduled access to your home won't be able to use a passcode to open the door while the lock is offline.
- As long as your lock is offline, it won't be able to send alerts or information to your phone.
Once support stops for Nest Secure on April 8, 2024, you'll no longer be able to use Nest Guard as a bridge to connect your Nest x Yale Lock to Wi-Fi. Only a Nest Connect will be able to connect your lock to Wi-Fi.
If you currently use Nest Guard as a bridge to connect your Nest x Yale Lock to Wi-Fi and don't own a Nest Connect, we'll provide one at no charge. We'll send eligible users an email in January 2024 with instructions on how to receive a Nest Connect at no cost. For more details, check the frequently asked questions in this Nest Secure Community Forum update.
More about how your lock connects to the internet
The Nest × Yale Lock in your home works a little differently than other Nest products do.
Your lock doesn't use Wi-Fi. Instead, it uses a low-power connection to talk to Nest Connect or Nest Guard. Your Nest Connect or Nest Guard then uses Wi-Fi to send information from your lock to the Nest app. This indirect connection helps your lock conserve battery power.
Troubleshoot when the Nest × Yale Lock is offline
1. Troubleshoot your Nest Connect or Nest Guard
- On the Nest app home screen, tap Settings Nest Connects.
- Select your Nest Connect Check connection.
- Follow the in-app instructions. If your Nest Connect is offline, learn how to troubleshoot Nest Connect.
2. Check the status of the Nest service
If the Nest service is down, all of your Nest products will be offline. You may also get the "The Nest service can't be reached right now" message on the Nest app.
Wait for the Nest service to resume to check if your lock and other Nest products come back online.
3. Check your app version
4. Try to restart your lock
Take off the battery cover and remove the batteries from your lock. If you received a low battery alert, use a fresh set of standard AA batteries. Don't use rechargeable batteries with your lock.
Wait a few minutes to check if your lock comes back online.
Even if your Nest Connect or Nest Guard is in range of your lock, something may be interfering with the connection.
Draw an imaginary straight line between your Nest Connect or Nest Guard and your lock. Any time the line is blocked by something big or heavy, it might cause interference.
Thick walls, furniture, appliances, and other electronics can reduce the range.