Make Duo calls with your Google Nest or Google Home speaker or display
You can make and receive calls with other Duo users on your Google Nest or Google Home speaker or display using Duo.
Duo calls are available on the following products:
- Displays (Google Nest Hub and Nest Hub Max): All countries and languages where Nest Hub and Nest Hub Max are sold.
- Speakers (Google Home, Nest Mini, Home Mini, Home Max, Google Nest Wifi point): All countries and languages where Google Home, Google Nest Mini, Google Home Mini, Google Home Max, or Nest Wifi points are sold.
- You can only call or receive calls from other Duo users.
- You cannot make emergency calls using Duo.
- The device used to contact your Nest display must have a camera in order for video calling to work.
Set up Duo calling
If you haven’t set up Duo yet on your display or speaker, follow these steps.
Important: If you already use Duo, make sure you connect your Google Account in the Duo app on your phone before following these steps.
- On your mobile device, open the Google Home app .
- Tap your device.
- At the top right, tap Settings .
- Under "More," tap Duo calling.
- Follow the in-app instructions for set up.
If you have trouble with Duo after setting up your Smart Display, learn how to fix common problems.
To control your video call, use your voice or your screen.
Important: You must turn on personal results to call your contacts.
Start a call
Say "Ok Google," then:
- Google Nest Hub Max, Google Nest Hub: Say "Video call [contact]" or "Call [contact] on Duo.”
- Google Home, Google Home Max, Google Nest Mini, Google Home Mini, Nest Mini, Nest Wifi point: Say "Call [contact] on Duo.”
- If you see a missed call on the screen, tap it.
End a call
Say "Ok Google," then:
- Google Nest Hub Max, Google Nest Hub: Say "End the call" or "Hang up," or tap End call.
- Google Home, Google Max, Nest Mini, Nest Wifi point: Say "End the call" or "Hang up," or tap the top to hang up.
- Google Nest Mini: Say "End the call" or "Hang up," or tap the center to hang up.
- Google Home Mini: Say "End the call" or "Hang up," or tap the side to hang up.
Mute or unmute a call
- Say "Mute call" or "Unmute call."
- Tap Mute .
You can receive Duo calls using your speaker or display. To answer a call say, "Ok Google," then “Answer the call.” To decline a call say "Ok Google," then “Decline the call.” Or, use one of the following touch options:
Answer or decline touch controls
Google Nest Hub Max, Google Nest Hub
- Tap Answer.
- Tap Decline.
Google Home, Nest Mini, Nest Wifi point
- Tap the top to answer.
- Press and hold the top to decline.
- Tap the line on the top or side to answer.
- Press and hold the line on the top or side to decline.
Google Nest Mini
- Tap the center to answer.
- Press and hold the center to decline.
Google Home Mini
- Tap the side to answer.
- Press and hold the side to decline.
Do not disturb
To temporarily prevent a device from receiving calls, turn on do not disturb.
Send a video message using Duo on Google Nest Hub Max
You can send a video message using Google Duo on your Google Nest Hub Max. When you send a video message, the person you’re sending it to can view it on the Duo app or from their Nest Hub Max.
Note: The recipient of your message needs to have Duo set up. You can download the Duo app for free from the App Store.
- Say “Hey Google, send a video message to [contact name]."
- An on-screen timer will count down from 3, so you can get ready.
- Record your video message.
- Note: Video messages have a 30 second time limit.
- Say “Hey Google, stop recording.” or tap the Stop button.
- You can review your message before sending by tapping Play.
- If you want to re-record your message, tap or say “Re-record.”
- Tap or say “Send” to send the message.
Make calls or broadcast between your devices
To call your devices from your phone, you’ll need:
- Google Assistant on your phone
- Duo set up on your phone
- A Google Account connected to your Duo phone number
- To use the same Google Account on your phone as on your display or speaker.
Ways to reach your display or speaker
From your mobile device:
- With the Google Assistant: Say ”Ok Google,” then “Video call [Smart display or speaker name] or "Video call [name of your home]" to ring all of your devices.
- With the Duo app: Open the Duo app . Swipe up tap Call my home devices. This will ring all of your devices.
- With the Google Home app: Open the Google Home app . Tap Broadcast . This will broadcast a message to all of your devices within the home.
From another display or speaker:
- To call a specific speaker or display, say, “Ok Google,“ then “Call [display or speaker name] or Video call [display or speaker name].“
- To broadcast to all speakers and displays, say, “Ok Google,” then “Tell everyone... “
Unlink Duo from your Smart Display
For instructions on how to unlink the Duo app from your Smart Display, go here.