Set up Digital Wellbeing
Digital Wellbeing is a set of tools that you can use to place limits on when and how your Google Home devices are used.
Filters can help you place limits on how people in your household can use Google Home. You can use Filters to do things like block access to music with explicit lyrics, or define which video services are enabled.
With Downtime you can help your family take a break from Google Home. When your Google Home devices are in Downtime, they will not respond to most commands or questions. During Downtime, you also will not receive notifications from your Google Home devices. Alarms and Timers will still work.
Set up Digital Wellbeing for the first time
When you set up Digital Wellbeing, you’ll be asked to first set filters for your services and then Downtime.
Note: Only the person who set up the Google Home device can set up and manage Digital Wellbeing.
Step 1: Set up Filters
- Open the Google Home app .
- Tap Settings Digital wellbeing Set up Next.
- Note: You can tap Skip to skip setting up filters. You can always come back to set up filters later.
- Choose who you want the filters to apply to.
Everyone - Filters apply to everyone using your Google Home.
Only Supervised Accounts and guests - Filters apply only to Google Accounts managed with Family Link and guests. The filters you select will not be applied to your account or unsupervised accounts.
- Select the devices you want the filters to apply to tap Next.
- Video - Only plays videos from YouTube Restricted Mode, YouTube TV Filtered Mode, and YouTube Kids. You can also block all video content or allow all video services without any filtering.
- Music - Choose whether to block explicit music, all music or no music.
Note: No filter is 100% accurate, but if you select to block explicit music it should help avoid most mature language and themes.
- Additional controls - Choose whether you’d like to block any of the following set of features on Google Home.
- Calls & messages - Block calls and messages through Google Home.
- Assistant answers - Limit Assistant answers to basic subjects like weather.
- Actions- Block third party Assistant actions that aren’t designated as Family Friendly.
- Tap Next to begin setting up Downtime.
Step 2: Set up Downtime
- Open the Google Home app .
- In Home , at the top of the screen, select the home you want.
- Tap Settings Digital wellbeing.
- If you do not want to set up Filters, tap Set up Skip Set up Next.
- If you want to set up Filters, tap Set up Next.
- Select the people and devices you want to set up Filters for Next.
- Select your video filter preferences Next.
- Select your music filter preferences Next.
- Select the devices you want to schedule Downtime for tap Next.
- Choose which days you want Downtime to be active. You can use one of the premade day schedules, or customize your own.
- Tap Next.
- Choose the times for Downtime to begin and end.
- Tap Next Done.