Before you begin
If you don't have a Skillshop account, you need to create one to access the Google Ads assessments that are required to become certified. Learn how to set up your Skillshop account
- Demonstrate your expertise. Show current and prospective clients that you're a certified online advertising professional with a personalized certificate that you can print.
- Help your company become a Google Partner or Premier Partner in the Google Partners program. Learn more about the requirements
Google Partners Certifications requirement
Certifications are one of the three requirement categories to be a Partner or Premier Partner. The following certifications will count toward the Certifications requirement: Google Ads Search, Google Ads Display, Google Ads Video, Shopping ads, and Google Ads Apps.
You can access these certifications in the Skillshop Google Ads Certifications page.
How the Google Ads certification works
When you set up a Skillshop account, you'll get access to the free Google Ads certification assessments and related learning paths that you can use to study for the assessments.
To become Google Ads certified in a Google Ads product area, you need to pass the product area assessment that is available through Skillshop. The certifications are available for the following Google Ads product areas: Google Ads Search, Google Ads Display, Google Ads Video, Shopping ads, Google Ads Apps, and Google Ads Measurement Certification.
|Google Ads Search Certification||Demonstrate your mastery of building and optimizing Google Search campaigns. Certified users will exhibit the ability to leverage automated solutions like Smart Bidding and Audience Solutions to boost campaign performance for specific marketing objectives.|
|Google Ads Display Certification||Validate your expertise using Google Display to deliver results that get the most from your display advertising investment. Certified users will demonstrate their ability to develop effective Display strategies and campaigns that achieve specific marketing goals.|
|Google Ads Video Certification||Showcase your ability to get results from YouTube and Google Video advertising solutions. Certified users will demonstrate an understanding of how to tell effective stories on YouTube to reach potential customers along the entire purchase journey at scale.|
|Shopping ads Certification||Validate your proficiency with using and optimizing Shopping ads. Certified users will also demonstrate knowledge of how to create and optimize Shopping campaigns that maximize reach and conversions.|
|Google Ads Apps Certification||Demonstrate your mastery of creating Google App campaigns to deliver business impact. Certified users will show they understand the fundamentals of campaign creation and advanced optimization strategies.|
|Google Ads Measurement Certification||
Demonstrate your ability to measure and optimize digital ad performance using Google’s measurement solutions. Certified users will show they understand the metrics that matter and can turn key insights into action to improve Google Ads performance and make an impact on their business.
Note: The Google Ads Measurement certification does not count toward the Google Partner badge.
The Google Ads certifications are available in 22 languages.
Available languages: Czech, simplified Chinese, traditional Chinese, Dutch, English (UK), English (US), French, German, Indonesian, Italian, Japanese, Korean, Polish, Portuguese, Portuguese (Brazil), Russian, Slovak, Spanish, Spanish (Latin America), Thai, Turkish, and Vietnamese
Preparing for the Google Ads certifications
We recommend that you have on-the-job experience using Google Ads. You should be familiar with online advertising concepts and best practices, and should have experience managing different types of Google Ads campaigns.
You can also prepare by accessing courses in Skillshop.
Assessment passing scores and time limits
You will need to have a score of 80% or greater on the certification assessment. You will have 75 minutes to take an assessment. If you don't pass an assessment, you can retake it 1 day later.
There's a timer that will start to count down when you begin the assessment. You won't be able to pause the timer once it starts. If you leave the assessment — for example, if you close your browser or your computer shuts down — the timer will immediately expire. You'll have to wait 1 day to take the assessment again.
How to stay certified
Your Google Ads certification will remain valid until the product area certification expires. The certifications are valid for 1 year. You’ll need to retake and pass the certification assessment in the respective product area to renew your certification.
Guidelines for communicating your certification status
Your Google Ads certification demonstrate that you're a certified online advertising professional. Here's what you can say to current and prospective clients about this recognition:
- Your Google Ads certification recognizes that you're a certified online advertising professional.
- You received this accreditation after successfully passing the Google Ads certification assessment administered by Skillshop.
Here's an example of what you can say about your certification status:
“Google has recognized me as a Google Ads certified professional, meaning that I’ve passed multiple assessments that assess my product expertise. I’m qualified to help you grow your business on the web using Google Ads.”
Here are some additional guidelines about communicating your certification:
- You may only refer to yourself as certified if you, personally, have passed the certification assessments. It's not enough for a co-worker to be certified or for your agency to be badged.
- You can refer to yourself as "certified" as long as your certification remains in effect. After the expiration date, you won't be able to refer to yourself as "certified" until you pass the assessments again.
- You're allowed to mention your certification on your resume, business cards, LinkedIn profile, and other social media profiles. Keep in mind that Google Partners logos can only be used in accordance with our usage guidelines.
The difference between Google Ads certifications and the Google Partner badge
- Individuals can earn Google Ads certifications. As a certified professional, you can demonstrate your achievement with a personalized certificate issued by Google.
- Companies can become a Google Partner or Premier Partner through the Google Partners program. A company that meets the requirements to become a Google Partner will be allowed to promote itself as a company with Google Partner status. Note that a company doesn't become a Google Partner simply by joining the program.