Use data to optimize your Search campaigns
After your campaign starts showing ads, you can easily monitor your results using either the Overview or Campaigns page.
Key performance metrics
Here are a few of the most common metrics for Search campaigns, in the order in which users interact with your ads. Conversions are one of the most important metrics because they allow you to measure what’s valuable to your business.
- Impressions (Impr.): Each time your ad shows on a search results page or other site on the Google Network, an impression is counted. Impressions are most important if your goal is to raise brand awareness.
- Clicks: When someone clicks your ad, a click is counted. Clicks can help you understand how well your ad appeals to people who see it. Relevant ads are more likely to receive clicks.
- Click-through rate (CTR): Your CTR shows the percentage of people who end up clicking your ad after seeing it. A good CTR will be different depending on the product or service you’re advertising, as well as the network on which your ads appear. To boost your CTR, focus on crafting compelling ad text that’s highly relevant to your keywords. Learn how to write successful text ads.
- Phone calls: When someone using a mobile-device clicks or dials the phone number on your ad, a phone call is counted. This metric is only available if you set up a call feature such as call extensions, location extensions, or call-only ads. You must also enable call reporting.
- Conversions: When someone interacts with your ad and then takes an action that you’ve specified, a conversion is counted. Conversions can include anything from purchases and sign ups to calls to your business. You define what counts as a conversion when you set up conversion tracking. To see how many different conversions you received, segment your data table by conversion action. You can also view additional actions such as:
- Call from ads: Number of calls from ads (for which you’ve set up a call feature) that last longer than a duration you specify.
- Local actions conversions: Counted whenever someone completes an action that’s related to your business’ physical location. These actions include:
- Local actions - Directions: Clicks on the “Get directions” button.
- Local actions - Website visits: Clicks on the website link.
- Local actions - Menu views: Clicks on the menu link.
- Clicks to call: Clicks on the “Call” button. This metric is different than “Call from ads” because it only counts calls from a location-based ad or service. Keep mind, “Clicks to call” includes calls of any duration.
- Cost: Amount you’ve spent during the time period you’re looking at.
- Average cost-per-click (Avg. CPC): The average cost of one ad clicks. It’s the cost of your ad divided by total clicks.