Create and manage Discovery campaigns
Discovery campaigns are a new way to reach people across Google properties in the moments when they're open to discovering your products and services.
- Rich and relevant creative: Inspire consumers with an open canvas showcasing your brand or products in a swipeable image carousel, rendered natively across each Google property.
- Results: By combining this incredible reach and creative canvas with Google’s understanding of intent, you can be confident you’re anticipating what your customers want and delivering the results you care about.
- Unmatched reach: Reach hundreds of millions of people across the YouTube home feed, the Gmail Promotions and Social tabs, and the feed in Discover using a single campaign.
This article explains how to create and manage Discovery campaigns, below. Learn more About Discovery campaigns.
Before you begin
- Make sure you have sitewide tagging enabled in the account. Make sure that you’ve set up conversion tracking and that you meet the conversion-based eligibility requirements.
- You must comply with our Personalized advertising policies.
- Make sure you have sufficient daily budget to account for at least 10X your target CPA bid. Gather your ad's assets like headlines, descriptions, images, and logos.
This campaign type is only available in the new Google Ads experience.
Step 1. Set up your campaign
- Sign in to your Google Ads account.
- On the page menu on the left, click Campaigns.
- Click the plus button then select New campaign.
- Choose a marketing objective of either "Sales", "Leads", “Website traffic” or “No goal”.
- Select the Discovery campaign type.
- Click Continue.
- Pick your geographic and language targeting for this campaign.
- Select your audiences. There are several ways to target your Discovery campaigns to the right audience. You can add the following targeting options: custom intent audiences, remarketing, and in-market.
- Enter your daily budget and Target CPA bid.
- Click Save and Continue.
- Click Save.
Step 2. Set up your ad
Upload assets to create your first Discovery ad
- Navigate to your Discovery campaign.
- On the page menu on the left, click Ads & Extensions.
- Click the plus button then select Discovery ad.
- Enter your assets.
Discovery ad asset specifications
Your headlines are the first line of your ad. Headlines can be up to 40 characters. Write headlines that make sense combined with any of your descriptions, images, and landing page. You can enter up to 5 headlines for a single creative.
|Your descriptions add to your headline and invite people to take action. They can be up to 90 characters. Write descriptions that can be combined with any of your headlines, images, and landing page. You can enter up to 5 descriptions for a single creative.|
|To get the greatest reach, upload multiple 1.91:1 landscape images. You can upload up to 15 marketing images for a single creative.
|Only one business name can be provided for a single creative. It can be up to 25 characters.|
|Upload 1:1 square logos. Logos will be rounded off in ad preview and live rendering on some of the properties. The recommended dimensions are 1200 × 1200, but logos can be as small as 128 × 128. A transparent background is best, as long as the logo is centered. Upload logos that combine well with any of your headlines, descriptions, and images. The maximum file size is 1MB, and most common non-.gif formats are accepted.|
|Default landing page that customers will reach on clicking the ad.|
|Call-to-Action text||Select the best call to action from the drop-down list in the ad creation tool.|
If you'd like to generate a second set of asset pairings, you can create a new ad later on. The assets you provide in each ad are used interchangeably only within that ad.
Step 3. Allow time for campaigns to develop
Once your assets and message are in place, give campaigns time to develop. Set a budget that drives volume, but that you’re still comfortable running for at least two weeks. We recommend one that’s 10 times the value of your target CPA bid since our models perform better as they collect more data. As a rule of thumb, wait 40 conversions before making changes to your campaign.