About the Google Ads certification
This article explains the benefits of getting certified, how to get certified, and how to communicate your certification status with others.
Before you begin
If you don't have a Skillshop account, you need to do so to access the Google Ads assessments that are required to become certified. Find out how to set up your Skillshop account.
Any member of Google Partners can earn our Google Ads certification. Here are the benefits of getting certified:
- Demonstrate your expertise. Show current and prospective clients that you're a certified online advertising professional with a personalized certificate that you can print.
- Help your company earn the Google Partner or Premier Google Partner badge. To earn either badge, companies need at least one of their affiliated members to be Google Ads certified, in addition to other requirements. Learn more about the requirements to earn the Partner badge.
To be sure your users’ certifications are credited to your company’s badge and specialization status, check that:
- Certified users have shared their information from Skillshop.
- Certified users have admin or standard access to your company’s Google Ads manager account or sub-managers.
Users certified under personal emails (that don't have standard or admin access to the Partners MCC) must add a company email in Skillshop for proper attribution. This company email needs to have standard or admin access to the MCC.
Here are the certification requirements:
- Partner badge: 1 user certified in Google Ads who has admin or standard access to your company’s Google Ads manager account or sub-managers.
- Premier Partner badge: 2 users certified in Google Ads who have admin or standard access to your company’s Google Ads manager account or sub-managers.
How the Google Ads certification works
When you set up a Skillshop account, you'll get access to the free Google Ads certification assessments and related learning paths that you can use to study for the assessments.
To become Google Ads certified in a Google Ads product area, you need to pass the product area assessment that is available through Skillshop. The certifications are available for the following Google Ads product areas: Google Ads Search, Google Ads Display, Google Ads Video, and Shopping ads.
About the Google Ads certifications
|Google Ads Search Certification||Demonstrate your mastery of building and optimizing Google Search campaigns. Certified users will exhibit the ability to leverage automated solutions like Smart Bidding and Audience Solutions to boost campaign performance for specific marketing objectives.|
|Google Ads Display Certification||Validate your expertise using Google Display to deliver results that get the most from your display advertising investment. Certified users will demonstrate their ability to develop effective Display strategies and campaigns that achieve specific marketing goals.|
|Google Ads Video Certification||Showcase your ability to get results from YouTube and Google Video advertising solutions. Certified users will demonstrate an understanding of how to tell effective stories on YouTube to reach potential customers along the entire purchase journey at scale.|
|Shopping ads Certification||Validate your proficiency with using and optimizing Shopping ads. Certified users will also demonstrate knowledge of how to create and optimize Shopping campaigns that maximize reach and conversions.|
The Google Ads certifications are available in 22 languages.
Available languages: Czech, simplified Chinese, traditional Chinese, Dutch, English (UK), English (US), French, German, Indonesian, Italian, Japanese, Korean, Polish, Portuguese, Portuguese (Brazil), Russian, Slovak, Spanish, Spanish (Latin America), Thai, Turkish, and Vietnamese
Preparing for the Google Ads certifications
We recommend that you have on-the-job experience using Google Ads. You should be familiar with online advertising concepts and best practices, and should have experience managing different types of Google Ads campaigns.
You can also prepare by accessing Skillshop learning paths. You’ll want to take the courses in each learning path to help you study for the assessments.
Assessment passing scores and time limits
You will need to have a score of 80% or greater on the certification assessment. You will have 75 minutes to take an assessment. If you don't pass an assessment, you can retake it 1 day later.
There's a timer that will start to count down when you begin the assessment. You won't be able to pause the timer once it starts. If you leave the assessment — for example, if you close your browser or your computer shuts down — the timer will immediately expire. You'll have to wait 1 day to take the assessment again.
How to stay certified
Your Google Ads certification will remain valid until the product area certification expires. The certifications are valid for 1 year. You’ll need to retake and pass the certification assessment in the respective product area to renew your certification.
Guidelines for communicating your certification status
Your Google Ads certification demonstrate that you're a certified online advertising professional. Here's what you can say to current and prospective clients about this recognition:
- Your Google Ads certification recognizes that you're a certified online advertising professional.
- You received this accreditation after successfully passing the AdWords Fundamentals assessment and either the Search Advertising, Display Advertising, Mobile Advertising, Video Advertising, or Shopping Advertising assessment administered by Skillshop.
Here's an example of what you can say about your certification status:
“Google has recognized me as a Google Ads certified professional, meaning that I’ve passed multiple assessments that assess my product expertise. I’m qualified to help you grow your business on the web using Google Ads.”
Here are some additional guidelines about communicating your certification:
- You may only refer to yourself as certified if you, personally, have passed the certification assessments. It's not enough for a co-worker to be certified or for your agency to be badged.
- You can refer to yourself as "certified" as long as your certification remains in effect. After the expiration date, you won't be able to refer to yourself as "certified" until you pass the assessments again.
- You're allowed to mention your certification on your resume, business cards, LinkedIn profile, and other social media profiles. Keep in mind that Google Partners logos can only be used in accordance with our usage guidelines.
Checking your Partners’ certified users
Skillshop doesn't provide reports about your company’s individual users’ exam and certification information. However, you can check your Google Ads certified users by following these directions:
- Sign into your Google Ads account.
- Go to the Partner program tab and click the Badge status card.
- Click View details to see your company’s specialization details.
- Click on the text in the middle of the card to show achieved, not achieved, or number of certified individuals, which will open a pop-up window listing your company’s certified individuals by product area.
We recommend users link their training activities to your company by listing your company's name and corporate email address in their Skillshop profile and sharing their account information with your company.
There might be up to a 48-hour delay between when an affiliated individual earns a certification in Skillshop and when that information is applied toward your company's Partner badge or specialization requirement.
Common questions about certifications
The difference between Google Ads certifications and the Partner badge
- Individuals get certified. Any member of Partners can earn a Google Ads certification. As a certified professional, you can demonstrate your achievement with a personalized certificate issued by Google.
- Agencies get badged and earn specializations. An agency that meets the requirements for Partner status will earn the Google Partner or Premier Google Partner badge and be allowed to promote itself as a "Google Partner." Note that an agency doesn't become a "Google Partner" simply by joining the program.
- Company specializations recognize agencies that accomplish the following:
- Earn the Google Partner badge or the Premier Google Partner badge
- Have at least one certified affiliated person in a Google Ads product area
- Demonstrate increased product performance and expertise in that product area, including:
- Search advertising
- Video advertising
- Display advertising
- Shopping advertising
- Have a minimum of $10,000 90-day Google Ads spend in their certified product area
- Company specializations recognize agencies that accomplish the following: