Dynamic remarketing for apps setup guide
5. Use remarketing lists
Remarketing lists are collections of users that you can target. Google Ads starts by creating lists for you based on users that have previously interacted with your ads and/or your business. You’re able to expand on these lists, use them to create more lists, or manually add additional lists. To make the most of remarketing lists:
- Look at the lists Google Ads creates for you. Each of the business types have some lists in common, such as “All visitors” and “All converters.” Each business type has its own lists, such as Flights with its “Flight viewers” list.
- Alternatively, you can manually create remarketing lists based on the “app_event” parameters you send to Google.
- Segment your audiences to best find and get conversions from audiences based on past activity, such as:
- Homepage viewers: Create a remarketing list where the URL equals your homepage URL.
- Category page viewers: Create separate remarketing lists for each product category or build a custom combination list with exclusions or the audiences of multiple lists.
- Product or Offer page viewers: Create a remarketing list and include all people who’ve reached specific product pages on your site. Exclude cart abandoners and past converters.
- Cart abandoners: Select “Visitors of a page who did not visit another page” with the shopping cart or lead form page, and then exclude people who actually converted, such as by selecting the “thank you page.”
- Past converters: Create a remarketing list for people who have reached your purchase confirmation page.
Create an App users remarketing list
Create a remarketing list based on the people who’ve installed your app.
- Sign in to Google Ads.
- To open the Shared Library, click on the tool icon.
- Click Audience manager.
- Click Audience Lists.
- To add an app users remarketing list, click on the plus button and select App users.
- On the page that opens, start by entering a descriptive remarketing list name.
- You must have a tag or event snippet set up for this to work. Learn more about the Google Ads remarketing tag.
- Choose a template from the "List members" drop-down menu.
- Next to “App,” click on the radio button for your app’s operating system and then click in the search field to locate the app.
- To enter a new app, click Add a new app…
- Enter a membership duration, which is how long you want a user to stay on your list. You can change the membership duration at any time.
- Enter an optional description of your audience.
- Click CREATE AUDIENCE.
Add your “App users” list to your campaign or ad group
- Sign into your Google Ads account.
- To open the Shared library, click on the tool icon.
- Click Audience lists.
- Select the “App users” lists you want to add.
- To select one list, click on the list name. In the next page, in the upper right corner of the App users box, click on the three-dot icon and select Add to…
- To select multiple lists, click on the checkbox next to the name of each list you want to add. In the blue bar menu, click on Add to…
- Select Ad groups or Campaigns.
- Add the list(s) to the ad groups or campaign.
- For ad groups, click on the campaign at the left to which the Ad group(s) belong. You can then click the checkboxes next to the ad groups you want your list(s) to join.
- For campaigns, click on the checkboxes next to the name of the campaign you want your list(s) to join.
- Click NEXT.
- Click on what you want your list to do in that ad group or campaign.
- Select Smart default if you want Google Ads to decide based on which Google Network you’re targeting.
- Select Targeting if you want to show ads only to specific audiences.
- Select Observation if you want to collect information about your users without narrowing the audiences you show ads to.
- Click ADD AUDIENCES.