To provide a comprehensive and consolidated view of your Audiences and make audience management and optimization simpler, you’ll see the following improvements in Google Ads:
- New audience reporting
Detailed reporting about audience demographics, segments, and exclusions is now consolidated in one place, the “Audiences” tab within the left page navigation menu. You can also easily manage your Audiences from this report page. Learn more About Audience reporting
- New terms
We’re using new terms on your audience report and throughout Google Ads. For example, “audience types” (these include similar, custom, in-market, and affinity) are now referred to as audience segments and “remarketing” is now referred to as “your data”. Learn more about the Updates to Audience terms and phrases
Your data segments include app users that you can target. Google Ads starts by creating segments for you based on users that have previously interacted with your ads and/or your business. You’re able to expand on these segments, use them to create more segments, or manually add additional segments. To make the most of your data segments:
- Look at the segments Google Ads creates for you. Each of the business types have some segments in common, such as “All visitors” and “All converters”. Each business type has its own segments, such as Flights with its “Flight viewers” segments.
- Alternatively, you can manually create your data segments based on the “app_event” parameters you send to Google.
- Segment your audiences to best find and get conversions from audiences based on past activity, such as:
- Homepage viewers: Create your data segment for app users where the URL equals your homepage URL.
- Category page viewers: Create separate data segments comprising your app users for each product category or build a custom combination segment with exclusions or including multiple different segments.
- Product or Offer page viewers: Create a data segment comprising only of people who’ve reached specific product pages on your app. Exclude cart abandoners and past converters.
- Cart abandoners: Select “Visitors of a page who did not visit another page” with the shopping cart or lead form page, and then exclude people who actually converted, such as by selecting the “thank you page”.
- Past converters: Create a data segment for people who have reached the purchase confirmation page on your app.
Create data segment for your app users
Create data segments targeting people who’ve installed your app.
- Sign in to Google Ads.
- To open the Shared Library, click on the tool icon .
- Click Audience manager.
- Click Audience Lists.
- To add a data segment that includes only your app users, click on the plus button and select App users.
- On the page that opens, start by entering a descriptive name for your data segment.
- You must have a tag or event snippet set up for this to work. Learn more about the global site tag
- Choose a template from the "List members" drop-down menu.
- Next to “App”, click on the radio button for your app’s operating system and then click in the search field to locate the app.
- To enter a new app, click Add a new app.
- Enter a membership duration, which is how long you want a user to stay on your list. You can change the membership duration at any time.
- Enter an optional description of your audience segment.
- Click Create Audience.
Add your “App users” data list to your campaign or ad group
- Sign into your Google Ads account.
- To open the Shared library, click on the tool icon .
- Click Audience lists.
- Select the “App users” data lists you want to add.
- To select one list, click on the list name. In the next page, in the upper right corner of the App users box, click on the three-dot icon and select Add to.
- To select multiple lists, click on the checkbox next to the name of each list you want to add. In the blue bar menu, click on Add to.
- Select Ad groups or Campaigns.
- Add the list(s) to the ad groups or campaign.
- For ad groups, click on the campaign at the left to which the Ad group(s) belong. You can then click the checkboxes next to the ad groups you want your list(s) to join.
- For campaigns, click on the checkboxes next to the name of the campaign you want your list(s) to join.
- Click Next.
- Click on what you want your list to do in that ad group or campaign.
- Select Smart default if you want Google Ads to decide based on which Google Network you’re targeting.
- Select Targeting if you want to show ads only to specific audiences.
- Select Observation if you want to collect information about your users without narrowing the audiences you show ads to.
- Click Add Audiences.