You can use YouTube remarketing lists to show personalized ads to people on YouTube, Search, Shopping, and Gmail. YouTube remarketing lists are tailored to help you show your ads to people who have seen your YouTube videos or have interacted with your YouTube channel. This article explains how to use these lists in your campaigns.
Before you begin
|Link your YouTube channels to your Google Ads account.|
|Enable the “Remarketing” feature while linking YouTube channels to your Google Ads accounts.|
Check if personalized ads are turned on in your YouTube account settings. If personalized ads are turned off, remarketing lists won’t work for your YouTube channel.
|Make sure the videos used to build remarketing lists are compliant with the personalized advertising policy.|
|Check if the YouTube channel and video content is marked as made for kids. Any videos with sensitive content won’t be eligible for remarketing.|
|Make sure the list status is set to “Open” and that you have a minimum of 1,000 active visitors or users on the list. Learn more about remarketing lists.|
|If the list size is decreasing, check if the membership duration has expired. For example, if you set the membership duration to 30 days, users will stay on your remarketing list for a maximum of 30 days.|
|Keep your targeting broad. If you use more than one targeting method at a time, Google Ads will apply them all in your campaign, which may restrict your impressions significantly.|
Create a YouTube remarketing list
- If you haven't already, link your YouTube and Google Ads accounts.
- Click the tools icon in the top right corner of your screen.
- Under the section labeled “Shared library”, click Audience manager.
- Click the plus button , then click YouTube users.
- Enter a name for your audience.
- Click the “List members” drop-down menu and choose the users you’d like to include in the audience. For example, you can choose users who watched a video from your channel or who subscribed to your channel.
- Select a YouTube channel linked to your Google Ads account.
- Expand the “Pre-fill options” section, then choose how you want to populate your list. You can pre-fill the list with users who match the actions you previously selected within the past 30 days, or you can start with an empty list.
- Expand the “Membership duration” section, then enter the number of days someone stays in your audience. The maximum membership duration is 540 days.
- Click Create.
After your remarketing list has gained interactions from at least 1,000 viewers, you can use it for your campaigns. Select the remarketing list you want to use while creating a new campaign or as a target for an existing video campaign.
Add a YouTube remarketing list to an ad group or campaign
- Select Audiences.
- Click the pencil icon .
- Select Campaign or Ad group from the dropdown menu.
- Click Select a campaign.
- Select the ad group or campaign you want to add a remarketing list to.
- Choose Targeting or Observation.
- Select the Audience you want to target and check the specific boxes related to the chosen Audience.
- Click Save.
If your Google Ads account is overseen by a manager account, linking your YouTube channel will allow the Google Ads manager account to access your YouTube channel metrics. If you have set up remarketing list sharing in your Google Ads account, a manager account can share remarketing lists that you’ve created with its other managed accounts.