Add negative keywords to campaigns
By adding negative keywords to your Search and Display Network campaigns, you can avoid targeting sites that contain those terms.
This article shows you how to add negative keywords to your Search and Display campaigns. You can also learn more about how to edit, remove, or download negative keywords.
Before you begin
If you’re new to negative keywords, learn more about negative keywords.
Keep in mind
Negative keywords aren't as precise on the Display Network as they are on the Search Network. Your ad may still occasionally appear on pages containing these terms. For Display ads, a maximum of 5,000 negative keywords is considered. Site category options and content exclusions are the best ways to avoid targeting unrelated sites or videos.
For Display and Video campaigns, all negative keywords will be considered broad matches.
- Sign in to your Google Ads account.
- Click Keywords from the page menu on the left.
- Click Negative keywords.
- Click the plus button .
From here, you can apply new keywords, a new negative keyword list, or an existing negative keyword list to your campaigns or ad groups.
Add negative keywords to ad groups, campaigns, and negative keyword lists
- Select Add negative keywords or create new list.
- Choose whether to add negative keywords to a campaign or an ad group, then select the specific campaign or ad group.
- Add your keywords, one per line. Make sure that your negative keywords don't overlap with your regular keywords, because this will cause your ad not to show.
- Note: If you’re adding negative keywords to a search campaign, you can choose a match type by using the appropriate symbols. For Display and Video campaigns, all negative keywords will be added as exact match, and you won't be able to change the match type.
- If you’re adding your negative keywords to a campaign, you have the option to save the keywords to a new or existing negative keyword list and apply that list to the campaign. Check Save to new or existing list, then enter a name for your new list, or select an existing list.
- Click Save.
Use an existing negative keyword list
- Select Use negative keyword list.
- Choose the campaign that you’d like to apply negative keyword lists to.
- Check the boxes of the negative keyword lists you’d like to use.
- Click Save.
Try excluding sites or categories to limit the visibility of your Display ads.