Combining automated bid strategies with search audiences
How they work together
When you add an audience to a campaign or ad group using automated bidding, you’re telling the bid strategy which people are most important to you. This helps the strategy optimise your bids and get you more conversions.
Let’s say that you want to increase the number of people who sign up for your newsletter. You've found that people usually sign up on their second or third visit to your site. So first of all, you set up a remarketing list for people who visited your site but didn't sign up for your newsletter.
Then, after setting newsletter signups as a conversion, you use Maximise Conversions to automatically set bids for you and help maximise those conversions.
Then, when calculating a bid, Maximise Conversions will look at your remarketing list and increase your bid when one of the people on that list uses one of your keywords.
How to set up automated bid strategies and remarketing lists
- Set up conversion tracking.
- Create a remarketing list.
- Add your remarketing list to an ad group so that your bid strategy can use it when adjusting bids.
- Apply an automated bid strategy to your ad group.
What you should know
- Smart Bidding will use your audiences as signals to bid more efficiently and help get you more conversions and conversion value.
- Smart Bidding also takes into account how long a member has been on your list, and uses this data to optimise performance. As a result, you don’t need to segment lists based on duration when using automated bid strategies.
- Bid adjustments work differently when you've applied a conversion-based automated bid strategy and the campaign or ad group contains multiple lists with overlapping users. Rather than adjusting your bids, your bid adjustments will instead prioritise the audience list to which an impression, click, etc. will be attributed.