To provide a comprehensive and consolidated view of your Audiences and make audience management and optimization simpler, you’ll see the following improvements in Google Ads:
- New audience reporting
Detailed reporting about audience demographics, segments, and exclusions is now consolidated in one place, the “Audiences” tab within the left page navigation menu. You can also easily manage your Audiences from this report page. Learn more About Audience reporting
- New terms
We’re using new terms on your audience report and throughout Google Ads. For example, “audience types” (these include similar, custom, in-market, and affinity) are now referred to as audience segments and “remarketing” is now referred to as “your data”. Learn more about the Updates to Audience terms and phrases
After you've created and tested your data segments, you can edit it if you want to make sure your products or services are reaching the right audience. You can also pause an ad group from targeting your list or remove a data segment from an ad group.
Edit a remarketing list
While remarketing lists created automatically by Google Ads cannot be edited, you are able to make changes to a remarketing lists that you've created manually. For example, you can edit the name of the list, change the membership duration, or close the list. Here's how:
- Click the Tools icon in the top right corner of your screen.
- Under the section labeled “Shared library”, click Audience manager.
- Click Audience lists from the menu on the left.
- Select the Audience list you’d like to edit.
- If you’d like to change the name of your list only, click the pencil icon .
- If you’d like to change the membership status of your list only, click the drop down arrow under the “Membership status” column and select Open or Closed.
- To edit the other list options, click the blue list name.
- Click the 3-dot icon in the top right corner of the list details and select Edit list.
- Here you can edit the list's name, initial list size, membership duration, membership status, and description.
- If you want to stop new site visitors from being added to a remarketing list, you can close the list using the drop-down menu in the "Membership status" section. "Open" means Google Ads will continue adding website visitors to your list. "Closed" means this list won't add new members.
- Make your edits and click Save.
Keep in mind
- When you edit a list, you don't need to replace the global site tag or remarketing event snippet on your site again.
- For remarketing on the Display Network: if you change the membership duration, that new duration is applied only to site visitors that are added after this change. The site visitors previously on the list will keep the original duration.
- For remarketing on the Search Network, if you change the membership duration the new duration is applied to both existing visitors and new visitors.
- Lists that have been created in Google Analytics can only be edited in Google Analytics.
Enable, pause, or remove remarketing lists from an ad group or campaign
Pausing your list prevents ad group from targeting it while still allowing it to add new visitors. Removing your list will permanently remove your list. Both of these actions are done in the Audiences page, where you set your audience targeting.
- In the navigation panel, select the types of campaigns to view.
- Click Audiences from the page menu on the left.
- Ensure that Audiences is highlighted blue in the page menu on the top.
- Click on the dot to the left of the name of the audience and select Enable or Pause.
- To modify multiple lists at once, click in the boxes to the left of the dots to check them. As long as you have boxes checked, a blue bar menu will appear above the list of audiences.
- From inside the blue bar menu, click Edit and then select Enable, Pause, or Remove.
Note that the following lists can't be removed:
- Lists that are in-use
- Lists that were automatically created by Google Ads
- Lists that are used to generate other in-use lists