When you use broad match, your ad is eligible to serve for user searches that are related to your keyword. This helps you find all queries relevant to your business while spending less time building keyword lists.
Broad match is the default match type that all your keywords are assigned if you don't specify another match type (exact match, phrase match or negative match). The Google Ads system automatically runs your ads on related variations of your keywords, including synonyms, misspellings and many other related searches, including searches that don’t contain the keyword terms.
To help deliver relevant matches, this match type may also take into account:
- the user’s recent search activities
- the content of the landing page
- other keywords in an ad group to better understand keyword intent
|Broad match keyword:||Ads may show on searches for:|
|low-carb diet plan||carb-free foods
low calorie recipes
Mediterranean diet books
low-carbohydrate dietary program
- You want to serve on searches that are closely related to the products you’re selling, so it’s best to use keywords that accurately reflect your products or services. For example, consider the one-word keyword hose (and one-word keywords are almost always too general). You may sell garden hoses, but your keyword will also be relevant to search terms for automotive hoses, hosiery, fire hoses and more. In this example, using the keyword garden hose is more appropriate.
- If you want to make sure your ads don't show for a certain search term, add that term to your ad group or campaign as a negative keyword. Negative keywords behave differently than positive keywords, and don’t include close variants. Learn more About negative keywords.
- Pausing or removing a keyword won't stop one of your active broad match keywords from "expanding" to that term. For example, if your ad group contains the broad match keywords flowers and tulips, and you pause the keyword tulips, your ads could still potentially show for the search term tulips, since it's similar to the active broad match keyword flowers.