Broad match extends its reach beyond exact and phrase match by identifying related queries. This helps you attract more visitors to your website, spend less time building keyword lists, and focus your spending on keywords that work. Using broad match to capture these high-intent queries can increase your reach and coverage. Check out About keyword matching options for details.
Broad match benefits
With broad match keywords, your campaigns:
- Can reach additional relevant search terms compared to phrase and exact match
- Provide more data and flexibility for Smart Bidding
- Use additional signals to ensure relevance and intent in expansions
For subtitles in your language, turn on YouTube captions. Select the settings icon at the bottom of the video player, then select "Subtitles/CC" and choose your language.
How to get started with broad match
Broad match is the default match type for all keywords. When creating a new keyword, you can use broad match by simply inputting the keyword in plain text. To convert exact or phrase match keywords to broad match, select “Broad Match” in the dropdown in the “Match Type” column. To convert multiple keywords at the same time:
- In your Google Ads account, click the Campaigns icon .
- Click the Audiences, keywords, and content drop down in the section menu.
- Click Search keywords
- Check the box next to the keywords you want to edit.
- Click Edit.
- Select “Change match types” and then, if it’s available, click Upgrade to broad match. If that option isn’t available, click Change all match types and then select “broad match”.
- Click Apply.
Check out the Search Automation technical guide to learn more about the signals Google uses, how queries match to keywords, how using Google AI makes keyword matching more effective, and what you can do to improve performance.
Measuring broad match results
Our measurement resources can provide insights into the performance of your broad match enabled campaigns. You can use these tools to find out how to optimize your keywords, build out negative keywords, and discover how well your campaign keywords are performing overall.
- About the search terms report
- Get negative keyword ideas using the search terms report
- Measure Search Network keyword performance