Pay with a bank account (direct debit)
When you pay with your bank account (also known as direct debit), Google deducts your Google Ads costs from your bank account.
How it works
- If you use automatic payments (direct debit)
We'll process your payment after you've accrued advertising costs. You'll be billed 30 days after your last automatic charge, or when your costs reach a certain amount (known as your billing threshold), whichever comes first.Automatic payments through a bank account (direct deposit) are supported in certain countries in Europe and the United States only.
- If you use manual payments
On this setting, just save your bank account details in your Google Ads account and verify your bank account. Once your bank account is set up, you can use the "Make a payment" button to make manual payments. Keep in mind that payments by bank account can take up to 5 days to process.
Who can use it
Payment by bank account is available only in certain countries and currencies. To see if you can use bank account to pay for Google Ads, check our payment options tool and see if "bank account" is listed as a payment method in your country and currency.
How to set it up
- Sign in to your Google Ads account.
- Click the tools icon and choose Billing & payments.
- Click the Payment methods link from the menu on the left.
- Click Add new payment method.
- Select Bank account, fill out your bank information, and agree to the terms and conditions provided.
- To make this your primary payment method, check the box next to Set this payment method as Primary.
- Click the Save button..
Verify your bank account
Depending on your country, you may need to verify your bank account in order to use direct debit. This process will vary depending on your country.
- If you're in the U.S.: You can choose to verify instantly or verify with a challenge deposit. If you verify instantly, you’ll be asked for the user ID and password of your bank account, which Google will use to verify your account in a matter of seconds. If the instant verification fails or you would rather choose to do a challenge deposit, a small challenge deposit will appear in your bank account within the next 3 days. When it does, sign in to your Google Ads account and navigate to Billing & payments. You will be prompted to enter the deposit amount to verify your account.
- If you're in France, Austria, Germany, Italy, Netherlands, Spain, Finland, Slovakia, Cyprus, Estonia, Lithuania, Luxembourg, Latvia, Malta, Portugal, Slovenia, or Ireland: You'll first need to accept the mandate in your Google Ads account. Then, you’ll verify your account with a challenge deposit; a small challenge deposit will appear in your bank account within 3 to 5 days. When it does, sign in to your Google Ads account, navigate to Billing & payments and follow the prompts.
- If you're in the U.K.: You don't need to verify your bank account.
- If you're in Israel: You'll need to print, complete, and send us a debit authorization. See how.
Change your bank account
At some point, you might want to change the bank account that you use for your Google Ads payments. Here's how you can change it:
- Sign in to your Google Ads account.
- If you're a manager account-user, sign in directly to the client account.
- Click the tools icon and choose Billing & payments, then click the Payment methods link on the side of the page.
- Click Add payment method.
- Enter your new bank account information and click Save.
- Once your bank account is set up (which can take a few days), make it the primary payment method in your account. To do this, navigate to Billing & payments, then click the Payment methods link on the side of the page.
- Find your new bank account and select Primary from the dropdown in the lower left corner.
- Click Save.
If you're sure you don't want to use your previous bank account again, you can remove it from your account by clicking the Payment methods link, finding the bank account on the page, and clicking Remove. Keep in mind that a new primary payment method needs to be assigned to your account before you can remove the previous one.
If you don't want your ads to run immediately after your bank account is verified, be sure to pause your campaigns.