Affinity segments help you reach your audience based on what they're passionate about and their habits and interests.
With affinity segments, you can raise awareness and drive consideration among people who have a strong interest in your products. For instance, let’s say you sell camping gear. To reach avid campers, you can pair an affinity segment like “outdoor enthusiast” with generic camping keywords. By adding this additional audience layer, you can reach people who are not only searching for camping products, but are also passionate about the great outdoors.
How it works
With affinity segments, you can reach people based on a holistic picture of their lifestyles, passions, and habits. Those in the affinity segment have demonstrated a qualified passion in a given topic, allowing you to reach the people that matter most with their products or offerings.
Currently, all Google advertisers can access affinity segments in Search, Display, Standard Shopping, and Video campaigns, as well as Gmail and Display & Video 360.
Find a curated segment of affinity categories by downloading this CSV.
Add affinity segments to your campaign
Follow the steps below to add affinity segments to a campaign.
- In your Google Ads account, click the Campaigns icon .
- Click the Audiences, keywords, and content drop down in the section menu.
- Click Audiences.
- In the “Audience segments” module, click Edit audience segments.
- Select “Campaign” and choose the campaign where you want to add affinity segments.
- Select the affinity segments you want your campaign to reach.
- Tick the checkbox next to the segment you'd like to add. This will add them to your targeting.
- Click Save.