This article addresses frequently asked questions about Apple’s App Tracking Transparency (ATT) policy changes, and how product changes may affect you as a Google Ads advertiser. Most advertisers will not be affected. Learn more about updates to iOS 14 campaign measurement
What’s the difference between the reporting I see for App campaigns and the SKAdNetwork report? Also what will be available in App Attribution Partner reporting?
SKAdNetwork reports will be available to all App campaign advertisers by April 30, 2021. SKAdNetwork reporting is one of multiple data sources to consider for campaign reporting. Learn more about best practices for iOS App campaigns
App Attribution Partners (AAPs) will have access to the same information of SKAdNetwork conversions and App campaign conversions. However, AAPs will not receive attribution claims on modeled conversions, so you will see differences among App campaigns, SKAdNetwork, and AAP reporting.
What reporting details should I expect for conversion data captured through the new URL parameters?
Is it possible to observe longer delays for some of my App campaigns on iOS as a result of conversion modeling?
How will the new URL parameters work when the ad interaction occurs on a non-Google site? Will advertisers need to send Google the parameter themselves?
In what cases would these new URL parameters be used?
How do I test whether the new URL parameter is working?
How will SKAdNetwork conversion values work with App campaigns?
What are the benefits of including the Google Analytics for Firebase SDK in my iOS app, beyond SKAdNetwork integration?
- Automatically measures key interactions, such as first opens and in-app purchases, for consented users. Learn more about automatically collected events
- Allows you to experiment with explainer messages to communicate why your users should opt into personalized ads.
- Ensures your campaigns will be compatible with upcoming privacy-safe measurement innovations from Google.
- Helps you unify data across your app and website. Learn more about setting up Google Analytics for a website and/or app
What’s the impact of running more than the recommended 8 App campaigns for installs?
How does Google model conversions when there is no shared identifier between ad interactions and conversions or when conversions can’t be measured?
We separate ad interactions based on whether we were able to observe the link between that ad and the conversion.
Then, we identify a group of similar-behaving users in the observable group and calculate their conversion rates. We also analyze other factors, including device type, time of day, and operating system, in order to assess similarity.
We train our machine learning model to determine the likelihood of conversions across all users that interacted with the ad, even those that weren’t directly seen because of browser or OS restrictions. We apply these training techniques uniquely for each advertiser’s specific business needs.Then, we validate that our models are representative by leveraging data from other calibration signals, such as historical conversion trends. Learn more about modeled online conversions
What are some of the signals used to power Google’s conversion modeling?
How do these new measurement solutions for iOS affect my bidding?
Our bidding systems rely on the measurement solutions used to collect data—such as the global site tag (gtag.js), Google Tag Manager (gtm.js), and Google Analytics for Firebase. As we develop new measurement solutions like conversion modeling and new URL parameters, we closely monitor their effect on our bidding systems and make adjustments accordingly.
Campaigns using Smart Bidding will continue to set bids based on the most accurate measurement available. However, we recommend that you prepare for the above changes by closely monitoring the performance and delivery of all campaigns serving on iOS traffic. If necessary, you can also make adjustments to budgets and Smart Bidding CPA or ROAS targets to help you achieve your goals. For example, if you would like to increase spend, you can raise CPA targets or lower ROAS targets as needed.If you’re running App campaigns with the Target ROAS bidding strategy, you should switch to Target CPA right away. Learn more about how Google is helping app developers prepare for Apple’s iOS 14 ATT policy updates
- Preparing our partners for Apple’s iOS 14 policy updates
- Learn more about how app publishers can prepare
- Learn more about how app advertisers can prepare
- Updates to iOS 14 campaign measurement
- Ads on Air: Helping partners prepare for Apple’s ATT policy updates
- Ads on Air: Helping partners achieve more accurate measurement in light of industry shifts
- Best practices for iOS App campaigns
- The marketer’s playbook for navigating today’s privacy environment
- 3 ways to plan for performance and privacy in iOS app marketing
- 5 keys to creating value with first-party data