Your Customer Match match rate is the percentage of your uploaded customer list that could be connected to Google users, so you can see how much of your list is usable.
Keep in mind that your match rate is not an indicator of how your lists will perform, but rather an indicator of whether you’re uploading the right data in the right way.
How match rates are shown
You can create a customer data file based on the information shared by your customers (for example, customers who have signed up for your business’s newsletter, customers who have bought from you before that have churned, etc.). Your list will be uploaded by a secure hashing algorithm, turning the emails into codes that cannot be unencrypted. Google does not receive the actual email addresses, nor can Google see the contents of the list. Google accounts are also in hashed codes, and the codes are compared to determine if there’s a match.
After this process is done, your data file is deleted. Whether or not there’s a match, Google doesn’t keep this data or use it for any other purposes.
How it works
Once you’ve created a customer list, you’ll be able to see your match rate in the file upload success page.
You can now see your match rate instantly in your Google Ads account, as well as the match rates of your previous uploads. You can see instant match rate percentages for the number of rows uploaded in each uploaded batch of files, as well as the ability to review all your uploads since April 1, 2020 and understand the upload statistics for those operations. We don’t show exact match rates. Your match rates will be grouped in a bucket and shown as a batch rate percentage.
Two common issues with Customer Match are upload problems and small reported Customer Match list sizes. Both can be traced to problematic data file formatting or incorrect hashing. Read Fix Customer Match issues with list upload, small list size, or low volume
How to improve match rate
- To improve your match rate, we recommend adding as many match keys (i.e. email, phone, etc.) as possible.
- Users who upload two match keys see an average list size increase of 28% and advertisers who upload a third match key see an average list size increase of 35%.
- To make this process even simpler, you can also work with a trusted Customer Match upload partner. Using a third-party to upload your data is a good option because you can:
- Outsource list onboarding and refreshes instead of creating an in-house Google Ads API (formerly AdWords API) integration or using the Google Ads interface to upload.
- These companies don't need your Google Ads login credentials to upload your data.
- You can use additional first-party customer information, such as their mailing address, phone number, or alternate email, to increase your list size. These companies use proprietary identity maps to find emails corresponding to your customers’ phone numbers and mailing addresses, and append these emails to your existing email list prior to performing the upload.
View your Customer Match match rate
- Click the tools icon in the top right corner of your screen.
- Under the section labeled “Shared library” click Audience manager.
- Click Audience lists from the page menu on the left.
- Click the plus button to create a new audience list.
- Choose “Customer list.”
- Choose whether to upload a plain text data file or a hashed data file.
- If you choose to upload customer data in plain text, the private customer data in your file (Email, Phone, First Name, and Last Name) will be hashed on your computer using the SHA256 algorithm before sending it securely to Google's servers. Country and Zip data won’t be hashed.
- If you choose to hash your data, make sure it meets the requirements described in Format your customer data file
- Choose your new file.
- If you agree, check the box “This data was collected and is being shared with Google in compliance with Google's policies.”
- Set a membership duration. The default membership duration is unlimited, but you can set a custom time limit.
- Click Upload and create list.
- You can view the progress of uploading your data file under "Audiences Lists". This process may take up to 48 hours to complete.
- Once your data has uploaded, you’ll see a file upload success page. You’ll see information about the number of rows that successfully uploaded and your match rate percentage.