Guardian email summaries FAQ
Note: Guardians can only be added for students using Classroom with G Suite for Education school accounts.
When a guardian is invited to Classroom, they receive regular emails about their student’s work and classes. These emails, known as guardian email summaries, include information about missing work, upcoming work, and class activity. See a guardian email summary example.
Here are some frequently asked questions by guardians and educators.
I want guardian summaries sent to a different email address. Can I change the address?
- Contact the student’s teacher or school and ask them to delete your current address and re-invite you at the new address.
- In your web browser, open an Incognito window.
- Sign in to the email account of the new address.
- Confirm you’re signed out of other email accounts.
- In your email account, open the invitation and click Accept.
- Set the frequency of your emails
- Update your locale
- View all students connected to your account
I’ve accepted the invitation for guardian notifications. Where will the emails be sent?
How do I receive email summaries of my student’s Classroom work?
Do I need a Gmail address to be invited?
Do I need Gmail or a Google Account to receive email summaries?
Can I sign in to Classroom and view my student’s work and classes? Can I sign in to the Classroom mobile app?
Why haven’t I received an email invitation?
You won’t receive an email invitation if:
- Your student’s school hasn’t set up guardian email summaries.
- Your student’s teachers aren’t participating in guardian email summaries.
- You aren’t the guardian of the student.
If you haven’t received the invitation, check your spam folder. Otherwise, contact your student’s school and ask them to send another.
Can I add guardians with a class code?
Do guardians have to be invited in every class?
What can guardians see in Classroom? Can they view my class stream or student work?
Why don’t I see the option to invite guardians?
- You aren’t a verified teacher. In order to view and invite guardians, an administrator must verify you as a teacher in your domain. Learn more about setting teacher permissions.
- You don’t have permission to invite guardians. Your administrator may have chosen to allow only administrators to invite and remove guardians. Learn more about managing guardian email summaries.
- Your school administrator turned off guardian email summaries.
- You’re using the Classroom mobile app. You can only invite guardians on a web browser. Learn more about inviting guardians.