This article is for guardians and teachers.
If you’re a guardian or educator, use the following information to help troubleshoot guardian email summaries.
Open all | Close all
Why haven't I received an email invitation?
I want guardian summaries sent to a different email address. Can I change the address?
How do I manage my guardian email settings?
How do I get email summaries of my student’s work?
My student uses Classroom with a personal Google Account. Can I get email summaries?
You won’t get an email invitation if:
- Your student’s school hasn’t set up guardian email summaries.
- Your student’s teachers aren’t participating in guardian email summaries.
- You aren’t the guardian of the student.
If you haven’t gotten the invitation, check your spam folder. Otherwise, contact your student’s school and ask them to send another invitation.
I’ve accepted the invitation. Where will the emails be sent?
No. Guardians can only receive summaries for students using Classroom with a Google Workspace account. For details, go to About Classroom user accounts
Do I need a Gmail address or a Google Account?
If you have a Google Account
- In Classroom, go to the email settings page.
- Sign in to Classroom to check the email address where the summaries are sent.
If you don’t have a Google Account
Guardian email summaries are sent to the email address that you signed up with. This address is the same email address where the invitation was sent.
For more details, go to Get Classroom email summaries.
Can I sign in to my student's classroom?
No. To get an invitation for email summaries, you can use any email address. When you accept the invitation, you get weekly summaries at that email address. However, with a free Google Account, you can adjust email summaries. For example, you can change their frequency.
How do I stop getting summaries?
No. Guardians can't access Classroom or their student's assignments due to privacy laws. Guardians can only get email summaries if your student's teacher allows it.
Open all | Close all
Can I add guardians with a class code?
Can guardians view my class stream or student work?
Does the same guardian have to be invited for every class?
No. When you invite guardians, they can’t see the Stream, Classwork, People, or Grades pages. Instead, guardians get an email summary of their student’s work. They get information about missing and upcoming work and class activities. For more details, go to About guardian email summaries
Why don’t I see the option to invite guardians?
No. When a guardian accepts an invitation for one class, they’re linked to their student in all classes. The guardian gets email summaries for all classes that have summaries turned on.
Can our school or district add guardians in bulk?
What if I don't want my class to be included in guardian email summaries?
You might not see the option to invite guardians if:
- Your administrator has not verified you as a teacher. For details, go to Verify teachers and set permissions.
- You don’t have permission to invite guardians. Your administrator might choose to allow only administrators to invite and remove guardians. For details, go to Manage guardians in your domain.
- Your school administrator turned off guardian email summaries.
- You’re using the Classroom mobile app on Apple® iOS®. You can only invite guardians on a web browser or on an Android device. For details, go to Set up guardian email summaries.
By default, guardian email summaries are turned off for your class. If you turn on summaries, you can turn them off at any time. For instructions, go to Turn guardian summaries on and off